The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Old ribbon mic rewiring question
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Old ribbon mic rewiring question

Hello,

I have this old ribbon mic and there is a lot of hiss when it is plugged in. It generally goes away when a clouidlifter is used before the pre. I know the mic is inherently low output but I’m wondering if I messed up the wiring. The the screw-in DIN Femalr output of the mic used have a TS connector but that was changed to XLR Male (so there’s a tiny cable with a DIN M and XLR M). The wiring is confusing to me since I’m not familiar with how the cables from the transformer should be wired to the DIN and then what pins connect to the XLR at the end.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Old ribbon mic rewiring question-e2b0e3a1-ad57-44fd-a59c-e7a3b7f11351.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
If the output level is the same both ways (and it’s not lower his just because it’s softer), suspect improper termination of the transformer. Most trannies want to see an impedance slightly hurt but close to the design value. Too little load can cause a HF boost.

If you don’t know the transformer’s color code, try ringing it out with an ohmmeter... but put a resistor in series, so you’re not shocking the ribbon with too much DC from the meter. Or better, use a sensitive AC meter or scope.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search