The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Frequency dip around 3khz and 7-8khz on microphone?
Old 17th January 2020
Here for the gear

Frequency dip around 3khz and 7-8khz on microphone?

I find these frequencies to sound cheap and annoying, so if anybody can point me in the direction of large condenser mic with such frequency response, much appreciated!
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear
What direction are you coming from?
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear
That's what parametrics are for.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear
Or you could put a sock on it.

Seriously... What obnoxious LDC are you using? The Rode NT1A is a mic that combines a HF peak with some harshness that can’t be EQd out without losing the top almost completely. Do you happen to have an NT1A?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
We had a shootout when equipping a new VO room.

Many of the sub-$1k mics sounded flattering on voice, and we’d settled on a few finalists... until the engineer who’d been the volunteer voice came back into the CR, and I heard him live again. Turns out what was flattering in the monitors was actually distortion compared to real world. We went with one of the expensive mics instead. If I want distortion, I’ll add it in post.

A few years later, talking to the owner of a respected US mic manufacturer, he revealed that they built those peaks in so the mics would compete with others in their price class. “Most people hear ‘bright’ and think it means better’.l
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

TLM 193
C414-B ULS

both will have a lower response to those annoying frequencies.
Old 4 weeks ago
http://www.coutant.org/shure330/

It's not a condenser....

-tINY

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Where art thou, Brako 21?
I’d really like to know what mic or mics you are using that emphasize 3k and 5-8k in a way that sounds “cheap and annoying”. MANY mics used for vocals have a rise in response at one or both of those frequency ranges, so it would help to know more exactly what mics you don’t like.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search