The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tools for fastening nuts without scratching paint?
Old 11th January 2020
Here for the gear
Tools for fastening nuts without scratching paint?

I am doing some DIY eurorack stuff and I want to get the nuts on my pots and jacks real tight. So far sockets and pliers have been a poor choice..

I have seen plastic socket drivers being used but cannot find anything like that online.

What do you guys use?
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Put tape on the face before tightening. use good masking tape that will come back off w/o issue. Frog tape or similar should do the trick
Old 11th January 2020
Gear Head

The appropriate tool is a Nut Driver. I have some nice ones made by WIHA. They make metric sizes and imperial sizes. My metric ones are individual units, while my imperial ones are a single handle with multiple interchangeable metal shafts.

To avoid scratching the surface of the equipment, I temporarily put some masking tape on the nut driver's front surface. I can post a picture if you like.
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear
My first job - bench tech at a custom installer - I got blasted for using a square-jaw ("electrician's") pliers on a front panel. Boss told me to always use a nutdriver.
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Having a flat washer under the nut should help, as well as making for a somewhat mechanically sturdier mounting (which may well not be of any practical importance)

Nutdrivers are wonderful tools and not super expensive.
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

If you are trying to tighten a panel nut over a toggle switch you want a hollow shaft nut driver. Same if you want to tighten a nut over a screw that extends far above the nut.
Old 12th January 2020
Here for the gear
masking tape! The answer is so simple hahaha thanks everybody. I'll be sure to check out that WIHA nut driver too
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenhillage View Post
I'll be sure to check out that WIHA nut driver too
I like Wiha tools also. The small nut drivers are Series 4. Either blade sets or fixed handle. There are larger Series 6 blade sets. There are also hollow shaft nut drivers. If you want to do for example a 3/8” panel nut with a long pot shaft you’ll want some of those.
Old 12th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive View Post
Put tape on the face before tightening. use good masking tape that will come back off w/o issue. Frog tape or similar should do the trick

We have lots of frog tape & soft spaces like used with rack screws.

Klein makes some really cool screwdrivers but their wrench is just a plastic dipped handle, this looks cool if manufactured in the size you need:

http://www.motomfg.com/This_is_a_non...32mm%20atm.htm
Old 12th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Put a piece of shrink tube over the end of the nut driver. Just enough to bend over the lip and apply heat. No more front panel scratches!
Old 13th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goodman View Post
Put a piece of shrink tube over the end of the nut driver. Just enough to bend over the lip and apply heat. No more front panel scratches!

Shrink tube, the scientists duct tape.
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Also, for controls with long shafts that use an outside and inside nut, you may be able to use a thin wrench to tighten the inside nut.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search