The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eventide H3000 D/SE issue
Old 11th January 2020
Here for the gear

Eventide H3000 D/SE issue

Hi there,

First time poster. Hoping to find some advice within this community

I recently bought a second-hand Eventide H3000 D/SE and am experiencing some issues with the unit.

The unit powers on, the presets load fine and there’s no audible glitch. The display works fine as well.

Then, after a random period of time (sometimes a few seconds, sometimes a couple minutes — I’d say the longest it has ran without a problem is maybe 30 mins), the “Line” red light turns off and there’s an audible clicking sound (though I’m guessing maybe this part is normal, since even when the unit is working fine I hear this clicking sound when engaging or disengaging the “Line” key). Once the light has turned off, the screen freezes and the following message is displayed “THE H3000 D-SERIES ULTRA HARMONIZER”. From that point on, nothing happens when I push the “Line” key (or touch any other control or keys, for that matter). Please also note that, from time to time, the “Line” red light adopts a different behaviour and turns on and off rapidly a couple times before remaining off, rather than just turning off once.

If I power the unit off and on again after the problem occurred, I will sometimes get it to work for another couple seconds or minutes. Other times, the “Line” red light just doesn’t turn on when I turn the unit back on, and the screen displays the message mentioned above, with the “Line” and other controls/keys remaining frozen.

Please not that the H3000 was shipped to me, so this might have something to do with the transportation (tough it was well packaged)

Are you able to help me troubleshoot this issue ?

Here are the unit’s information :
Model number : H3000 D/SE
Voltage : 115
Software version : OS Rev 2.17

Thanks in advance for the followup and have a good day.

Best regards,
Etienne
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Where are you using it? What is your local mains voltage? Are you using it on a mains transformer?
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear
It does suggest a power supply issue. Any component can die when it gets hot, but IIRC the H3000 the bypass relay is pretty basic in the circuit.

Are you equipped to take it apart, look for signs of heat or a hot component, or hit parts with a cooling spray?
Old 11th January 2020
Here for the gear

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies

@ Radardoug : I am in Canada. The unit's line voltage select switch is set to 115v. I am not using a transformer.

@ Jay Rose : I can open the unit, but am currently parleying with the seller so I want to be careful not to alter anything yet. Are you able to tell me what exactly I should be looking for ? Is there something I should see with my naked eyes ?

Best regards.
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacblanc View Post
I can open the unit, but am currently parleying with the seller so I want to be careful not to alter anything yet. Are you able to tell me what exactly I should be looking for ? Is there something I should see with my naked eyes ?
It’s a can of worms.
There’s a possibility you’d see a burned component or bulging cap in the power supply area (near the transformer), but I don’t think that’ll be the case since the unit runs when cold.
I didn’t realize this was a pre-sale inspection. If you don’t know electronics yourself, or the seller is willing to let a tech go through it before you commit, consider it a total unknown. Might be an easy fix (by a tech), might be something expensive or take a lot of shop time.
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Try a factory reset and see if it will boot up would be the first step
Press Function while turning on, reset the presets and operating system.

I was having this issue and for a time it worked.
Usual suspects include reseating the power molex connector
And reseating the chips
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
Try a factory reset and see if it will boot up would be the first step
Press Function while turning on, reset the presets and operating system....
Usual suspects include reseating the power molex connector
And reseating the chips
LK's steps are something I forgot, and they're a good idea. Since you can do the rest from the front panel, there's no particular damage or marks -- the only thing that'll go away is any custom presets/algorithms the original owner put in, and their particular i/o and level configuration.

Difficult to see how software could cause your kind of problem in a 30-year-old box, but you never know.

Opening and looking for bad connections, while you're looking for burnt/bulging components, is also a good idea. Usually a bad connection will result in failure to boot, but if one is dicey and heats up, thermal effects could possibly cause your issue.
Old 11th January 2020
You bought someone else's problem. Now they are yours.
Old 11th January 2020
Here for the gear

Hi all,

Thanks again for the precious help.

@ Jay Rose : This is not a pre-sale inspection. I bought the unit online, but am still within the delays to get a refund (the unit was sold as in 100% working order). Considering the fact that I had it for a good price and that these units are harder and harder to find, I'd prefer to find a way to fix it rather than send it back. Still, if I get too close from the deadline and still have found no solution, I will ask for a refund.

@ lovekrafty and @ Jay Rose : Great ! I'll try this. If I understand you guys correctly, performing a factory reset will not cause any loss of the presets in the unit, except for those created by previous owners ? Right now, all of the programs for the H3000 and H3000 D/SE listed in the official Eventide's H3000 Series Manual are present in the unit and I'd like to avoid losing those if possible.

Kind regards.
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks again for the precious help.

@ Jay Rose : This is not a pre-sale inspection. I bought the unit online, but am still within the delays to get a refund (the unit was sold as in 100% working order). Considering the fact that I had it for a good price and that these units are harder and harder to find, I'd prefer to find a way to fix it rather than send it back. Still, if I get too close from the deadline and still have found no solution, I will ask for a refund.

@ lovekrafty and @ Jay Rose : Great ! I'll try this. If I understand you guys correctly, performing a factory reset will not cause any loss of the presets in the unit, except for those created by previous owners ? Right now, all of the programs for the H3000 and H3000 D/SE listed in the official Eventide's H3000 Series Manual are present in the unit and I'd like to avoid losing those if possible.

Kind regards.
Correct all the factory presets will be loaded
you Will lose the user presets
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi all,

Just wanted to followup on this an let you know @ lovekrafty was indeed correct, the issue was caused by the molex connector.

Found another thread on this as well, leaving it here for further reference if anyone is trying to solve this issue : Eventide H3000 - freaking out on startup?

Thanks for your help
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

Just wanted to followup on this an let you know @ lovekrafty was indeed correct, the issue was caused by the molex connector.

Found another thread on this as well, leaving it here for further reference if anyone is trying to solve this issue : Eventide H3000 - freaking out on startup?

Thanks for your help
It is good practice to eliminate that Molex connecor completely and to solder the wires directly to the motherboard.
That will take some time desoldering the motherboard connector and stripping the Molex mating connector, but it is really worthwhile doing that !!
If you do not do that, you will have the Molex problem again, mostly when you do not expect it.
Do note the colors and order of the wires to make sure you solder the right wires to the motherboard in the right order !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for your help
Glad you’re up and running

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search