The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Converting Speaker Output Jack to DI
Old 7th January 2020
Here for the gear

Converting Speaker Output Jack to DI

Hey there guys! New to the forums here! I have a project/experiment on my bench, something I’ve never done before but that I have seen done.

I have an old Voice of Music 8810/166a amp that I’m trying to mod. Basically I’m trying to see how would I convert the speaker output jack to a DI output. I have a general idea of how I would do it but I’m not 100% sure how to do it. If that makes any sense. I’ll post a schematic below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf schematic.pdf (186.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 7th January 2020

That's an interesting way of biasing a 6v6.....

You are going to need a load (probably 8 ohms). Then, you'll need to adjust the level - maybe.

8 ohms on a 10W output puts you pretty close to professional (+4dBU) level.....

-tINY

Old 7th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

That's an interesting way of biasing a 6v6.....

You are going to need a load (probably 8 ohms). Then, you'll need to adjust the level - maybe.

8 ohms on a 10W output puts you pretty close to professional (+4dBU) level.....

-tINY

Adjust level how?
Old 7th January 2020

Use a potentiometer if you need to drop the level. If you need to boost the level, you'll need a transformer or an active stage.

-tINY

Old 7th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Use a potentiometer if you need to drop the level. If you need to boost the level, you'll need a transformer or an active stage.

-tINY

So install 8w wirewound resistors on the positive and negative lines leading to the speakers output jack. And if needed install a potentiometer from the leads to the speaker jack to adjust the output. Is that correct?
Old 7th January 2020

install a single, 10w (or greater) 8ohm resistor across the 1/4" jack. Then, use the jack to connect to your input.

The resistor and the input of your pre-amp are in parallel. This is a single ended solution. If you need a balanced feed (XLR or TRS) then you'll need a passive DI box as well.

Or, you could buy this: https://www.radialeng.com/product/headload

See also -

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...ors-and-reamps

https://carvinaudio.com/blogs/guitar...-can-and-can-t

-tINY

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search