The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alesis Adat XT20 Schematic/Service Procedure Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 16th June 2007
Gear Nut

Alesis Adat XT20 Schematic/Service Procedure

I am Looking for Schematics and any available Technical repair Info available on the Alesis Adat XT20. I have 2 of these with the dreaded
"Error 7" problem and a Good head cleaning did NOT help! Also Schematics for a 3rd unit with a dead Power supply. Looking to see if I can handle a little more in-house other than Cleaning, Belts, Pinch Rollers and switches.
Thanks...Take Care,
Shawn
Old 17th December 2008
Gear interested

Alesis XT20 power supply schematics

Hi Shawn,

Did you have any luck finding the schematic for the XT20 power supply. I have one that has suffered the same fate and I can't get a replacement from anyone in AUS. I should be able to get it 'looked at' if I can supply my tech with the schematics. I found a link in the US for replacements @ USD 99.00 (digirepair.com) but I can't get a repsonse from the site.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob.
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnthony View Post
I am Looking for Schematics and any available Technical repair Info available on the Alesis Adat XT20. I have 2 of these with the dreaded
"Error 7" problem and a Good head cleaning did NOT help! Also Schematics for a 3rd unit with a dead Power supply. Looking to see if I can handle a little more in-house other than Cleaning, Belts, Pinch Rollers and switches.
Thanks...Take Care,
Shawn
Hello.. I had the same happen to one of my XT-20s when I was using them. ( Error #7.).. Cleaning didn't help either. Unfortunately, and I hope this isn't the case for you, I had to send it back to Alesis. It had dropped a headstack..!.....With about 15 hrs on the new heads.. Fortunately it was new and still under warranty. If not, they say it would 've cost about $ 400-$600 to repair...... I 've since then moved on to the HD24-XR...Maybe yours is just alignment issues. Good Luck...
Old 22nd December 2008
Lives for gear

Do not use hhb tapes, the purple ones back in the day would always do this. (on mine)
Old 26th December 2008
Gear Nut

XT20 Schematic

Hey Rob still looking for this XT 20 Repair information.... Schematics Alignment, adjustment etc.....Any Help Greatly Appreciated...Thanks...Take Care,Shawn
Old 22nd October 2009
Gear interested

I think hr_adat is what you've all been looking for! How to fix "Error 7" with one simple wiggle of a connector... heh
Old 18th March 2018
Gear interested

Error 7 can be caused by a number of issues, the easiest to fix is dirty heads while at the other end broken headstack. You really need to scope the RP2 output while clocking the scope from the tape asic. If you see 2 clear 8 blocks of data the head is usually ok. Other things to check is the liner track as this keeps everything synced up. Bad alignment can also give the problem but in general an adat shouldn't go out of alignment. If the heads and all above are good then tape asic, tape ram are possible causes but again in my experience these are very reliable. Tape tension is another thing to check as well as Capstan motor speed and mode switch alignment. The motor should all have a constant tone and not be varying, and variation could be a PWM driver fault or dead coil in an motor. I realise this is an old thread but should anyone come back to this might find it helpful.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search