The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
M-Audio Nova or Sterling T-51 repair and Schematic?
Old 4th January 2020
Here for the gear

M-Audio Nova or Sterling T-51 repair and Schematic?

Hi guys. So i picked up Condenser Microphone online from guitar center. Bought xlr cable, hooked it up to audio interface with 48v phantom power and mic is barely working. XLR cable is new but i paid $5 for it. Maybe it's a cable but doubt it. It moved cable around and no changes in noise or anything. The mic inside looks like new and unmolested from any mods.

It's picking up audio but it's like 5-10% of what it should and gain is on 100% and white noise is huge as gain is so high. It is also making high pitch "oscillation noise".

So basically something in circuit is not working. It's actually very good mic. First production was in 2004 so around that time is the date of manufacturer, so it's ~ 15 yrs old. I know electrolytic capacitors go out somewhere around ~20 yrs?

I looked for schematic but i can't find it anywhere. Any idea where should i start with my DMM? Is this worth the hassle or should i return it?

I can probably replace every single part when i order from mouser and it will be less then $10 as most of the time those caps are like 0.30$. Bad Transformer? Thoughts?

Circuit seems simple with not a lot of parts so i'm wondering if there something obvious i can check with DMM?

I can't find anything below $100 that's it's decent. This has same response curve as $300 Rode NT1 circuit and arguably is it's clone and definitely sound like it when check it out on youtube.

What does that gold coating on back of the mic do? Mine is gone but membrane is fine.

This is same circuit as Sterling St-55 mic

Anyone has schematic for this mic ?

Should i upgrade this circuit?

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/M-Audio/Nova

Here is few pics of the circuit. Any help where to start or any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear

Take it back to the shop where you bought it. They should take it back if not working
Old 4th January 2020
Here for the gear

I know but i will lose $15 on shipping. This mic was $30 so maybe i can use shell for u87 or u47 build. I don't wanna spend more then $80 to be honest.

I was thinking of getting PCB and getting all components from mouser which is like $20 but i can't find PCB anywhere. You guys use to do u87 mods.

Thing is kit $199 but for that price i can get better clone, Stellar X2 so i'm trying to aim somewhere below $80. I may just return it and eat $15 shipping cost but then i'm back to square one.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search