The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions on Building a TL074 OPAmp Line Mixer
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Questions on Building a TL074 OPAmp Line Mixer

I want to build to build a very small line mixer for a bunch of synths.

Synth DIY Guy has a YouTube for building a dual Mixer with a TL074 OPAmp. Looks pretty simple and seems to sound OK. Search YouTube for Building a dual Mixer with OTTO's DIY (I tried to copy and paste the link but can't make the copy/paste work).

A couple of questions I am hoping you can help me with:

1. Does anyone know if there is a limit to then number of input you can have? I am thinking between 8 and 12.

2. Could I put a switch right after the 10k Pot and either before or after the 100k resistor that would temporarily divert the audio from the synth to a second output. This output would be connected to an RC505 looper.

3. If someone has a better suggestion for a line mixer, please let me know.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The only experience that I can share with you, and it's happened to me a few times, slow learner that I am, is that TL0-anything amps don't like to drive long or even medium cables.

The classic 5532 op amp is better for this but it's not a FET input, if the circuit requires that.

If there were a FET-input 5532-level op amp I'd be all over it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
To reduce noise, I would use 12k input and feedback resistors instead of 100k. Then you can use 50k linear pots, which loaded with 12k will give a pretty reasonable approximation of a log taper and will have much better tracking between channels if you use stereo pots, while keeping the minimum input impedance at ~10k. There's no limit to the number of inputs you can add, but noise will increase with the number of inputs. Since we're talking line level and no gain, this may not be a problem. Try and see.

A 100R resistor at the output will help with driving capacitive loads (long cables). Arrange it as in the attached schematic and don't forget those 22p caps for stability (use C0G / NP0 ceramics or polystyrene here). Use DC blocking caps at the inputs and outputs as shown, I like Nichicon Muse ES bipolar caps for this, they are tiny and very linear.

Edit: yes, you can put a switch after each pot. If you feed the aux output to the inst. inputs of the RC505, which are high impedance, add a 12k resistor to ground at the aux output position of the switch to keep the same taper.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions on Building a TL074 OPAmp Line Mixer-tenorjazz.png  

Last edited by Cabirio; 2 weeks ago at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Answer to switch question
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search