The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RCA SAGG-024 amp schematic needed!
Old 1st January 2020
RCA SAGG-024 amp schematic needed!

I dunno why RCA schems are so tough to come by. But this ones no different. I can't find anything.

Right at the power cap cans somebody cut the diodes (cer71) which i replaced with 1n4007. There was also a little resistor i had to resolder, but i really need the schem to be sure everything went back right.

All the transistors test ok. The hfe ranges are all over though. 80-120ish. I need a replacement for AO232 which im also having trouble finding.

When i brought it up on the lightbulb limiter the first time, the diodes to the system were cut, so i got no short there. Putting the diodes and resistor back in i get a big bright bulb (short)

Any help would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
RCA SAGG-024 amp schematic needed!-20200101_095330.jpg   RCA SAGG-024 amp schematic needed!-20200101_095356.jpg  
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
I dunno why RCA schems are so tough to come by. But this ones no different. I can't find anything.
!
RCA Service Company, in the latter days of their existence, sourced and re-branded products from various vendors, including Shure and McMartin.
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear
That piece really doesn’t look like RCA-built broadcast, film, or speech (PA) gear.
One thing to check: just about every “native” RCA piece had an “MI-“ number on its nameplate.
Old 3rd January 2020
It very well could be a sub contracted job, but who?

It's labelled rca all over the place. But no clues as to some other manufacture doing it for them.
Attached Thumbnails
RCA SAGG-024 amp schematic needed!-20200103_155851.jpg   RCA SAGG-024 amp schematic needed!-20200103_155832.jpg  
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear

Rca sagg-024

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
It very well could be a sub contracted job, but who?
The rear panel labeling looks McMartin.
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear
Looked closer at your first photo. The 70.7v tap clearly shows this was a piece of public address equipment... AFAIK, that's the only application that uses "constant-voltage" distribution to multiple speakers. (Each speaker had a transformer with a 70.7 V primary, and a bunch of secondary taps marked in watts, so you could easily set how much power went to that room. No messing with impedance... just make sure your total secondary wattage didn't exceed the amp. There was also 25v constant voltage, which had the additional advantage of class II wiring.)

Then I went to an archive of RCA catalogs, and looked at the PA amps in an early 70s version. None of them looked like your box. RCA's front panels were very different.

RCA -did- have PA amps in the "SA" series (I think it stood for 'speech amplifier'). But never SAGG as far as I know. And as far as I could determine, all of them also had MI ordering/stock numbers somewhere on them.
Old 4th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
Looked closer at your first photo. The 70.7v tap clearly shows this was a piece of public address equipment... AFAIK, that's the only application that uses "constant-voltage" distribution to multiple speakers. (Each speaker had a transformer with a 70.7 V primary, and a bunch of secondary taps marked in watts, so you could easily set how much power went to that room. No messing with impedance... just make sure your total secondary wattage didn't exceed the amp. There was also 25v constant voltage, which had the additional advantage of class II wiring.)

Then I went to an archive of RCA catalogs, and looked at the PA amps in an early 70s version. None of them looked like your box. RCA's front panels were very different.

RCA -did- have PA amps in the "SA" series (I think it stood for 'speech amplifier'). But never SAGG as far as I know. And as far as I could determine, all of them also had MI ordering/stock numbers somewhere on them.
Interesting.

This does have an 8ohm tap, my thoughts were to use it more as a guitar type amp, if it sounded any good. Looks to be all germanium on the inputs, with plug in transformer options. I got a bunch of octal plug transformers and sockets i could mount transformers too.

Ill poke around more for the mi number.
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear
Another couple of clues:

1) The nameplate says "rack panel", not "amplifier" or "monitor". The stock number doesn't tell us anything, because while RCA sold blank panels for their racks, they never wasted space on them in their catalogs.

2) The RCA logo is an older-style one, from the tube era. By the 1970s, RCA was using three san-serif outline letters as their logo... with no circle or lightning bolt.

3) Gadgets on the right of the panel -- fuse, switch, light -- aren't mounted on the panel itself. They're mounted on the chassis and show through holes drilled in the thicker panel. I can't imaging any industrial designer, let alone one at RCA, doing something that way.

My hypothesis: a station engineer took a spare RCA panel and mounted a chassis-only amp, of some other brand, on it. The front panel labels could be decals or rub-on letters (common in that day), or maybe when they had a sheet-metal shop do the drilling, they had it silkscreened.
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Rca sagg-024

the power supply resembles the McMartin LT-80b.
a few component differences but you get the idea.

note the half wave rectifier section for the accessory socket power.

maybe 3 amp or greater diodes rather than 1N4007.
Attached Thumbnails
RCA SAGG-024 amp schematic needed!-lt80b.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search