The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Furman PL PRO fused resistor
Old 30th December 2019
Here for the gear

Furman PL PRO fused resistor

I've got 2 Furmans with the same issue. Resistor R4 has fused.

I am trying to replace it but it is pretty hard to read what are the two middle values.

Any good soul out there who could send me a photo of this resistor so I can pick the right value?
Attached Thumbnails
Furman PL PRO fused resistor-img_7211.jpg  
Old 30th December 2019
Gear Addict

Looks like the filter and overvoltage board.

It might be helpful to provide the model you have, as well as a higher resolution pic of that resistor. The corrosion on the lower and upper right corners would be concerning.

Also, that capacitor to the lower left of the transformer appears swollen, indicating it could stand replacement.
Old 30th December 2019
Here for the gear

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've attached some photos.

There is no corrosion, that is just some sort of dark brown glue they applied to hold components and lock fasteners.

I am pretty sure the resistor have fused and on the way pulverised the markings.

You could read:

- Brown, Orange, Orange, Gold -> 13K
- Brown, Yellow, Yellow, Gold -> 140k

On a DMM they read 3MOhms and 8MOhms. To get up to that value multiplier should be either green or blue but as I said the thing has pulverised so I would not trust those markings.
Attached Thumbnails
Furman PL PRO fused resistor-img_7212.jpg   Furman PL PRO fused resistor-img_7214.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Broken PL-PRO DMC E

I have a unit that most likely has a similar issue. Did you ever figure out the correct values for the resistor? Mine looks like it has black,white,silver,brown which would be .09 ohms and does not make any sense. DMM reads 18.6k Ohm.
Attached Thumbnails
Furman PL PRO fused resistor-img_1053.jpg  

Last edited by stonedawn; 1 week ago at 05:14 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedawn View Post
I have a unit that most likely has a similar issue. Did you ever figure out the correct values for the resistor? Mine looks like it has black,white,silver,brown which would be .09 ohms and does not make any sense. DMM reads 18.6k Ohm.

From what I remember that rail has 110v and it feeds the LED in the front panel.

With the original 20k resistor you may get 6ma across the led and 650mW across the resistor.

From memory I added a 40k resistor which made my LED dimmer but also reduced the current across the resistor to just 250mW I hope it may help to take less stress on the resistor.

If you resistor is reading 18k the resistor is probably still fine. My ones were at Mega Ohms range not allowing any current through that rail and it that rail is open the device wont work.

May be worth to check if the LED, D13 or F1 are open.

I've attached the schematics for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Furman PL PRO fused resistor-screen-shot-2020-02-14-7.28.43-am.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkmaia View Post
From what I remember that rail has 110v and it feeds the LED in the front panel.

With the original 20k resistor you may get 6ma across the led and 650mW across the resistor.

From memory I added a 40k resistor which made my LED dimmer but also reduced the current across the resistor to just 250mW I hope it may help to take less stress on the resistor.

If you resistor is reading 18k the resistor is probably still fine. My ones were at Mega Ohms range not allowing any current through that rail and it that rail is open the device wont work.

May be worth to check if the LED, D13 or F1 are open.

I've attached the schematics for it.
Thank you so much for the information! At the moment nothing lights up when it is powered on and I am just starting to try and figure out what is wrong. R4 seemed like an obvious candidate as it has some black residue on the leads and the underside of the PCB looks like it was already repaired right where it sits (see the picture attached). All other components I have tested so far look fine, other than C2 which is a .27uf on my board but only has 0.15uf left.

Thanks again, your input helped a lot. I'll continue my search.
Attached Thumbnails
Furman PL PRO fused resistor-img_0958.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search