The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Headphone Attenuator,,
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Pro Headphone Attenuator,,

Happy Christmas,,

Has anyone got a circuit diagram for a headphone attenuator to suits 250 Ohm Headphones, The output fro my mixer is still quite loud through these Headphones,
Many thanks,,
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Does your mixer not have a headphone level control already? Can't you turn the level down there?

I think standard practice in this case would be an L pad--a series resistor leading to the driver in parallel with another resistor. I think a series resistor of about 125 ohms and a parallel one of about 250 ohms would be a reasonable starting point, giving about a 6 dB attenuation while maintaining approximately the same overall impedance, if my mental math is roughly correct. The exact values are not critical; matching them between the two sides is a bit more important, at least within reason. 1/4 watt resistors ought to be sufficient.

There are also plenty of headphone level control/attenuator gizmos available for not too much money, though I supsect most of them are designed for lower impedance headphones. For example, here's one. I have no specific experience with this one or others, so can't make a specific recommendation; it's only an example.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
If you decide to use a stereo variable L pad for the headphones, be aware that cheap ones might not have good left/right tracking... which is important if you're mixing with them. (If you're just tracking, and mix with your calibrated monitor speakers, this isn't a problem.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Headphones work best when fed from a specific source impedance. If you feed them from to high an impedance then there will be insufficient damping and the phones will no longer be accurate.

Cheer

Ian
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Many thanks for you replies,,
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search