The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Headphone Attenuator,,
Old 25th December 2019
Here for the gear
Pro Headphone Attenuator,,

Happy Christmas,,

Has anyone got a circuit diagram for a headphone attenuator to suits 250 Ohm Headphones, The output fro my mixer is still quite loud through these Headphones,
Many thanks,,
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear

Does your mixer not have a headphone level control already? Can't you turn the level down there?

I think standard practice in this case would be an L pad--a series resistor leading to the driver in parallel with another resistor. I think a series resistor of about 125 ohms and a parallel one of about 250 ohms would be a reasonable starting point, giving about a 6 dB attenuation while maintaining approximately the same overall impedance, if my mental math is roughly correct. The exact values are not critical; matching them between the two sides is a bit more important, at least within reason. 1/4 watt resistors ought to be sufficient.

There are also plenty of headphone level control/attenuator gizmos available for not too much money, though I supsect most of them are designed for lower impedance headphones. For example, here's one. I have no specific experience with this one or others, so can't make a specific recommendation; it's only an example.
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear
If you decide to use a stereo variable L pad for the headphones, be aware that cheap ones might not have good left/right tracking... which is important if you're mixing with them. (If you're just tracking, and mix with your calibrated monitor speakers, this isn't a problem.)
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

Headphones work best when fed from a specific source impedance. If you feed them from to high an impedance then there will be insufficient damping and the phones will no longer be accurate.

Cheer

Ian
Old 3rd January 2020
Here for the gear
Many thanks for you replies,,
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search