The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IJ Research “Helios” 51x or 500 extra pins?
Old 21st December 2019
Lives for gear
IJ Research “Helios” 51x or 500 extra pins?

Hey y’all,

Just came into possession of an IJ Research module that supposedly is 500 series compatible, but...these extra pins are stumping me.

To my knowledge, 51x isn’t a widespread thing so I’m stumped as to why the builder would do this.

Is there a way to tell if this thing really requires 24v or if those extra pins can be clipped off?

TIA!

https://imgur.com/gallery/EwekTTa
Old 21st December 2019
Lives for gear

Igor, aka I.J.Research, was active over at groupdiy until he fell out of a hole in the bottom of the world in may 2005. You can probably find the background info with a search over there.

Jakob E.
Old 21st December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
Igor, aka I.J.Research, was active over at groupdiy until he fell out of a hole in the bottom of the world in may 2005. You can probably find the background info with a search over there.

Jakob E.
Ha funny enough I knew him well back in the day. I have some prototype gear of his and had many beers with him together with fellow GS old timer TanTan.

All I can glean from the threads is that making it for 24v was an option, up to the builder whether they wanted that or 16v. Either way I think the PCB was the same, with the extra two pins.
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear

Do you, by any chance, know what happened to him?

/Jakob E.
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyraf View Post
Do you, by any chance, know what happened to him?

/Jakob E.
I assume he’s still doing his thing in Haifa. I don’t think he ever liked the commercial aspect of making gear. Being accessible is probably something he decides to duck in and out of from time to time.

Now, any way to tell if this IJR Helios module needs 24v or if pins 17 and 18 are vestigial? I’d love to fire this thing up and the guy who sold it to me is silent...
Old 29th December 2019
Gear Maniac
That is most assuredly a 51x PCB and I am pretty confident that anything IJ Research did would be taking advantage of the 51x standard. So, no... do NOT file those pins.

I did see that at one point there was a 2-space 51x-compliant rack - if anyone ever happens across the BOM and maybe a Gerber file... I would love to try building one up. I did Bruno's SSL 9k5 build with the 2 extra pins (and the meter bridge) removed and I can't help but wonder the extra 8v would give a bit more headroom.

So yeah, don't file. Check groupdiy and maybe you'll get some better answers?
Old 3rd January 2020
Gear Head

When I look at the picture there are some jumpers close to the power inlet. Is it possible that you can jumper between 16 and 24 V?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search