The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rackmountable modems and routers???
Old 17th December 2019
Here for the gear
Rackmountable modems and routers???

I've become obsessed with racking everything. It's SO much cleaner looking, easier cable management, takes up less space, convenient when all controls are in one spot.

Of course we know that power conditioners are rackmountable, such as the popular Furman units.

Less popular but still out there are rackmountable power conditioners with battery backUPS.

Even more rare are rackmountable computers/blank computer cases. There are only a handful unless you count server cases that you can build a computer into.

And lastly, almost NON-EXISTENT are rackmountable modems/routers. I see a few but they are meant for large commercial buildings and businesses. They are LINED with inputs and outputs, and I don't even know if they can perform both the internet cable connection and route wifi. I'd have to study their specs, but I didn't bother after seeing prices and lack of pre-attached rack ears.
Wouldn't it be nice if your simple familiar modem/router could just be flattened down and put into a 1u shell WITH rack ears already attached? Why in the world would no one do this?

Racking everything seems like the direction to go, even in homes that don't double as recording studios.
Think about how everyone is getting cameras installed outside/inside their house and they all come with some form of hardware. Rack it.
Think about how everyone has some form of audio system for TV/PC. Rack it.
Think about how half of the world still uses satellite or cable TV boxes. Rack it.
Think about how the other half of the world does not and instead has a Smart TV that only uses internet broadcasting programs which requires a modem/router. Rack it.
Think about people who are even smarter than Smart TV users and instead simply put a cheap computer near their TV/monitor so they could browse, download, play everything. Rack it.
Console videogame systems: when it gets down to it they are only limited, graphically focused computers. Rack it.
My bread toaster. Rack it.

Rack every damn thing! What the heck are we waiting for! The future will be so convenient! But why can't today be!

So, can anyone point me in the direction for 1u modem/router combos that are under, idk, $400? Are they even made? Will I have to take apart my modem/router, buy a 1u shell and connectors, and solder up my own? This can't be the world I live in.
Old 17th December 2019
Gear Maniac

I don't know much the "network" market (it's not my job), but I think I never seen a "home" switch/router in rack format.

A 19" wide router would allow way more ports than needed by the average home user (at least in the same room)... while the network attached devices are growing in every house, I think such switch/router would still be a waste of space/money for the average user.

Then, most of us want/need wifi: you can rackmount a switch/router, but you need to place the wifi antennas in a accessible place, where they have little to no obstruction (so, in my opinion, definitely not in a rack). So you would need to buy an access point and connect it to your racked switch/router (which adds to the final cost).

Modems, as far as I know, are integrated in home routers (that's not to say those modems are always cheap - sometimes they are pricey - but I consider them as home/soho devices) or sold as a dedicated device (but in the last few years they have become harder to find in popular stores where I live, it seems people just buy a wifi modem/router).

If you want to pursue your goal of racking a home router, I would buy a shelf and attach the router with zip ties of velcro and then put a blind panel in front of the rack.

Plan your network connections ahead, because it looks like a nightmare disconnecting a cable from a router attached to a shelf (a real rack-mounted router is probably easier to access). I would probably bring some network connections to the front of the rack (there are panel-mountable rj45 female ports, but I think they are not very cheap and you would have to build your cables to connect them to the router on the shelf... and, if you need to attach a rj-45 male connector to a cable, you need a crimp tool, which I think it costs around 15 € at least - I spent around 20 € for mine a few years ago). Or at least keep one or two long spare cables hanging from the side of the rack, in case you need them (I have a Gigabit switch in my home studio sitting on top of a high shelf and I have two spare cables in stategic places of my studio to connect a laptop whenever I need it).

Also, plan a way to quickly turn on and off the switch/router. Sometimes you may need to reboot it and it would be troublesome to reach the back of a rack (again, an I/O switch on a blank panel could do the job).

I don't know if this is worth doing it, to be honest.

At home, I have a wifi modem/router near the phone, then I have a 8 ports gigabit switch in my studio located elsewhere in the house. It's enough for my needs (studio computer, nas, ethernet midi, two spare cables, a powerline to have a solid network connection to the main modem/router instead of using wifi) and I still have room to grow my studio network... that small gigabit switch does the job and takes very little room, I don't see myself racking it...

Just my opinion, of course!
Old 18th December 2019
Lives for gear

Rack mount shelves are a good way to go. You'd also have some space for excess cable, etc. They are available in 1, 2, and 3 RU sizes, and larger.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...hoCXwUQAvD_BwE
Old 18th December 2019
Lives for gear

NetGear
Old 18th December 2019
Here for the gear
Your opinion is appreciated! I'm definitely not at the patience-level to build a 1u modem/router myself haha.

If a company were to mass produce a simple unit, an easy way to visualize a router antenna in a rack is to compare it to the look of the flexible lamp lights (usually sold separately) on a lot of power conditioners. I feel like it's definitely doable for a company.

Theres a couple others on Reddit and Linus Tech Tips forums asking for the same or similar product. I have a feeling a lot of recording studios would use it since a lot of people's modems and/or routers are already sitting near their desks. I hate the clutter of walwarts and devices behind/beside my desk collecting dust. It would be so much better in a rack! I'll try to attach a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Rackmountable modems and routers???-20191217_194519.jpg  
Old 18th December 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
NetGear

Browsed Netgear's website and couldn't find a rackmountable home/office modem :(
Old 18th December 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kulka View Post
Rack mount shelves are a good way to go. You'd also have some space for excess cable, etc. They are available in 1, 2, and 3 RU sizes, and larger.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...hoCXwUQAvD_BwE
I appreciate that! This might be the way I have to go after all.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search