The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Otari Mx-70 Alignment Problems
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I don't know if it's allowed here, but does anyone know where to get audio cards for the machine?
I got one bad card with the crack on the big Otari chip, or the chip itself will probably do too..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Which "big chip" are you referring to?

Bri
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I-0056
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Cool thanks!
i'll check those links out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantingroove View Post
The heads look nice and shiny, can't see any flat spots or obvious wear on them, at least visible to the naked eye.
Nice shiny heads doesn't mean anything. Haven't read entire thread but what jumps out at me is things like azimuth, etc. Did the machine come with a head report?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
Firstly, you need to make sure tape tension is correct. Secondly, you need to make sure that the tape is passing correctly over the heads, and that all mechanical parts in the tape path are in good order. On an old machine, you may have to change bearings and pinch rollers.
Thirdly, the heads need to be in good condition and not worn.
Just because a tape is brand new out of the box does not mean it wont shed, Also your head could already be dirty. Some of the shedding tapes had a clear substance which shed on the heads, and is very hard to get off. I would clean and clean again.
The way you describe the symptoms sounds suspect. If you play the 1K tone, does it vary at all? Have you listened to it for wow and flutter? If the meters at 10K are going up and down, it points to poor tension or poor transport control or badly worn heads. If you are not experienced with tape recorders, I would strongly suggest you find someone in your area who knows tape recorders. As a novice you could get yourself into real trouble. It would also be worth sending your heads to John French at JRF for a head report. And understand, getting in to tape is a VERY expensive exercise.
All that he said - John French is excellent and a very nice person.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got the replacement.
Everything is smooth as butter.
My theory was right .
Tape is not what it used to be. You need to stay on top of it, as you obviously have. The manufacturers are doing their best to deliver, but it is a fact that there are problems with the tape itself from time to time, MRL included. Welcome to the world of electro magnetic recording! Stay strong. And btw - If I were you I'd go with the 8 track headstack. Much better sound...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

soundbarnfool, thanks!
I've seen shedding tape before but this is my first time dealing with "tacky tape".
On the bright side it forced me to spray every contact, straighten out every pin on every connector and learn a ton of stuff.
I'll use either head stack depending on the project since we're all analog and use Reaper only for 1/4" transfers and multi-track 'dumps'.
8 track head does sound very nice
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
On the bright side it forced me to spray every contact, straighten out every pin on every connector and learn a ton of stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search