The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What refurb for a virgin UA 1176N Rev D?
Old 15th December 2019
Here for the gear

What refurb for a virgin UA 1176N Rev D?

Today I stumbled upon a black face Urei UA 1176LN Rev. D, S/N 1318 at an estate sale and of course bought it. I popped the cover and it looks stock and unmodified. I've not yet tested it, not that I know how.

I don't think I need it, so what to do with it? Have my local pro-audio shop test it and then list for sale somewhere? Or, have some parts replaced (ie original electrolytic capacitors), then sell it?

Thanks for any advice.

PS I am only doing recordings of a friend on her grand piano for posting to YouTube. This is the last one I made with a UA Apollo Twin with no processing. I tried some of the free plugins, and she didn't like the sound of any compression, limiting, or eq., not that I know what I'm doing. So, probably don't have a use for the 1176N. The piano was tuned two weeks before, so not quite perfect. I welcome audio processing suggestions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeR-4ps628I

Last edited by markk02474; 15th December 2019 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

Judging by where you have your mikes and listening to the result, you are way too close! No room tone, just in your face piano. Try backing waaay off.
I'll give you $100 for your Urei hehe!
Old 16th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
Judging by where you have your mikes and listening to the result, you are way too close! No room tone, just in your face piano. Try backing waaay off.
I'll give you $100 for your Urei hehe!
Thanks for listening. Microphone location was a preference of the pianist who wanted the recording to sound like she hears it playing at the keyboard, and how other pianists would hear it. The other factor was the small living room and close walls covered by black seamless photographic background paper, not some large hall! The single camera, high perspective, again was for pianists to see her fingering and damper use without the frustration of continual camera movement or angle changes.

On the 1176LN rev. D, I'm probably going to just take detailed photos, get it checked out, and then put up for sale. I realize it is such a rare, previously out of circulation instance of the best version, which I don't want to ruin with changes that may not suit one studio or another.

Last edited by markk02474; 16th December 2019 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: added info
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search