The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bantam Patchbay Hot Cold Pins
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Bantam Patchbay Hot Cold Pins

Hi,

im cabling my Bantam Patchbay. And i have a question about the connectors.

On TRS Cables the tip is hot(red or blue), ring is cold (white) on every Pinout for the bantam connectors i have found, this is reversed, they all show the tip as cold and the ring as hot?

But why is that so?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Balanced cables, of course, don’t care: so long as shield is sleeve, all tip and ring have to do is be consistent from one end to the other.
The only reason I can figure for tip cold on the bay is if there’s a chance you’ll be plugging in unbalanced gear where the gear end of a specialized cable is RCA or tip/sleeve. Then, having that cable’s TRS tip be Unbalanced ground would assure ground connects to the bay first to eliminate hum zap... while the bay’s ring getting unbalanced hot would preserve polarity.
But that’s pretty obscure.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

OP, your question is unclear. Are you talking about the patch cables, or the patch bay? If you're just asking about the wire colors on the patch cables, it makes no difference of course.

If you're talking about the patchbay being wired with the rings hot in reference to the XLR's or whatever is on the other end of the cables, that's a different story. If everything appears to be wired ring hot / tip low, I would guess it that was done by accident. As Jay said, it will still work if every single patch is wired that way, and it might not be worth re-wiring everything, but is a quite strange.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search