The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Simpler JFET amplifier stage question
Old 3rd December 2019
Gear Maniac

Simpler JFET amplifier stage question

I set a J201 up as a self-biased common source amp with 24V DC supply.

I have about 15dB of clean gain, pleasant symmetrical clipping as input amplitude of a 1kHz sine increases beyond 400mVAC, and no noise.

Does that sound about right? I'd like to build a simple guitar preamp. I know there are so many treatments of guitar buffers and preamps online but I wanted to have a crack at designing from measured JFET parameters and making use of the 24V rather than the assumed 9V.
Old 5th December 2019

With a 24v supply, you should be able to get more output if you want. I liked the overdrive I was able to get out of a MMBFJ201 without a bypass cap on the source resistor.

For more gain in my design, I added some BS170 E N-MosFETs. I was able to get about 25dB from them when the source resistor is bypassed - but I'm working with 9v.

-tINY

Old 6th December 2019
25 db of gain is about all I can get with some fets running at 9 volts. Use two in cascade and you get 40 db or more.
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Great! Thank you both, I might have missed something or mis-measured then.

I can see now how you get hooked on analogue signal processing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search