The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adding a Second Mic Preamp
Old 29th November 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Adding a Second Mic Preamp

Hey,
I have an RME Fireface and a Presonus D8 8 channel Microphone Preamp.
I want to add a Focusrite MKII 8 channel mic preamp to get more inputs.

They both have ADAT and the Fireface has 2 ADAT ins and outs.

Can I do this? How do I hook it up?

Thanks!!
Old 29th November 2019
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennmusic View Post
Hey,
I have an RME Fireface and a Presonus D8 8 channel Microphone Preamp.
I want to add a Focusrite MKII 8 channel mic preamp to get more inputs.

They both have ADAT and the Fireface has 2 ADAT ins and outs.

Can I do this? How do I hook it up?

Thanks!!
its 12 analog, 16 ADAT correct? .. so my guess is if your doing 44.1, or 48khz you can run both.. but you will need to slave the RME and one of them via BNC cable to the other ADAT device ..

so you should make the Focusrite MKII the master clock for the hole thing ..
Old 29th November 2019
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
its 12 analog, 16 ADAT correct? .. so my guess is if your doing 44.1, or 48khz you can run both.. but you will need to slave the RME and one of them via BNC cable to the other ADAT device ..

so you should make the Focusrite MKII the master clock for the hole thing ..
Not sure about the 12 analog, 16 ADAT thing.
The Presonus has eight XLR mic/line inputs.

RME- 12 Inputs. 8 balanced TRS on the back and 4 XLR inputs with Mic/Instrument preamps on the front.

I'm waiting for a BNC cable and will try that.

Thanks for the reply
Old 30th November 2019
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennmusic View Post
Not sure about the 12 analog, 16 ADAT thing.
The Presonus has eight XLR mic/line inputs.

RME- 12 Inputs. 8 balanced TRS on the back and 4 XLR inputs with Mic/Instrument preamps on the front.

I'm waiting for a BNC cable and will try that.

Thanks for the reply
there are lots of fireface variants I see..what's the exact interface you have?
Old 30th November 2019
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
there are lots of fireface variants I see..what's the exact interface you have?
It’s a Fireface RME 802

Thanks!
Old 30th November 2019
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennmusic View Post
It’s a Fireface RME 802

Thanks!
yup..I'm right..
Old 30th November 2019
  #7
Here for the gear
 

You mean about this?
.....

you will need to slave the RME and one of them via BNC cable to the other ADAT device ..

so you should make the Focusrite MKII the master clock for the hole thing ..
Old 30th November 2019
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennmusic View Post
You mean about this?
.....

you will need to slave the RME and one of them via BNC cable to the other ADAT device ..

so you should make the Focusrite MKII the master clock for the hole thing ..
yes


ADAT must be the master (and be) the clock..
Old 30th November 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
yes


ADAT must be the master (and be) the clock..

Thanks so much. I’ll give it a try.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump