The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Troubleshooting weak channel strip
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Troubleshooting weak channel strip

I have a vintage Tesla channel strip that I've recapped the EQ section, and have fixed up the PSU on.
It's now receiving a perfect +/- 15v DC.

The line input sections sounds pretty good, besides being very weak.
With the gain and fader cranked I get about half the volume I should be getting.

The mic input section is about the same. I have to crank it to get it to be at a decent volume, but since it's cranked I'm getting lots of gain distortion.
On a more appropriate level, it sounds good, but almost too quiet to hear.

I'm looking for ANY suggestions and advice on what components may be causing this. I'm about to recap the entire thing, as I can tell some of the old tantalums are not performing right. I pulled out one and it was reading almost double the uf it should be! but I still have a feeling it's not just caps. Could the input or output transformer be to blame? The only thing about that is that I have another of the same channel strip and it has the exact same problem. Which is why I figure it could be some of the old tantalum caps in there behaving strangely as they're all about as old as eachother (1980)
Also, I DO have a schematic, but nothing other than a dmm to test it.

Ryan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search