The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My OTARI MX7000 needs help again
Old 28th September 2019
Gear Maniac

My OTARI MX7000 needs help again

Hello!

I have a little problem with my Otari MX7000. It‘s a 2 track 1/4“ tape machine. It has 3x tape speeds: 15, 7 ½ and 3 ¾ IPS. I just discovered that the capstan motor isn‘t running at 3 ¾ speed. The reel motors are working, so when I push PLAY they want to spin, but they can‘t, since the capstan motor is not supporting them.

What would be the first thing to check? I suspect a faulty relay. But I‘m not sure which one it is. Could you help me? I attached the schematics, would you have a look at it?

Thanks in advance!

Robert.
Attached Files
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Update

Hi!

I was troubleshooting the machine today and could‘t find any fault so far. I was trying to understand the speed switch. It looks pretty messy from below (see photo). But I have a question. On the transport diagram there is this big CN4 connector. When you look at the PIN B9 of this connector, it says ‚SAFETY OUT‘. What does it mean? Any ideas?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
My OTARI MX7000 needs help again-speedswitch-.jpeg  
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

Yoski,
You might try posting in the reel to reel tape machines forum over at tapeproject.com. Lots of expertise over there, and the forums are pretty active.

WW
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search