The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Auratone C5A - save the (new) speaker with plenty of glue
Old 20th September 2019
Here for the gear

Auratone C5A - save the (new) speaker with plenty of glue

I just bought this speaker and I admit that my expectations were not too high. But because the price was good, I gave it a chance. The following is a description of the flaws I noticed with this product and how I hope I fixed them. Maybe it will help someone before giving up .

Main problem - Ugly ringing sound from inside the speaker cabinet.

WARNING. Opening and/or repairing your device can present electric shock, device damage, fire, and personal injury risks, and other hazards.

You can clearly hear the ugly ringing sound when you tap the speaker cabinet. It sounds like some sort of metal thing is vibrating and ringing inside. And yes, it changes the speaker sound, especially when listening at a lower level. I think this is just a terrible design mistake, that alone makes it almost unusable for me.

The thing is, the speaker amplifier electronics are mechanically ringing. It took a bit of patience to find the sources of the problem, but I found and completely eliminated them. I'm not talking about cables that make sound when vibrating against each other, they also need to be tightly bundled. The main noise comes from medium-sized capacitors (4 pieces) and smaller ones (about 10 pieces), they just ring like guitar strings, try to tap with your finger. My solution is a hot glue gun. There is no need to put too much glue, no need to sink the components into the glue, which would change their cooling too much. I just glued the capacitors on one or two sides to each other and to the PCB, it was enough to eliminate the ugly ringing noise. I tapped my fingers through all the electronic components and added glue as needed, almost every component got a bit of glue I couldn't stop myself and also added glue to the loooong metal legs that the PCB is attaches to, maybe it helps to reduce the ringing there also.

At the end it was like night and day, I couldn't believe it. Yes I know, it's weird to fix a new speaker with a glue gun, but maybe this time it was worth it.

Minor things.
  • The speaker front cover is sponge ... really. You can remove it by grabbing the logo and gently pulling and shaking your hand patiently in all directions. Warning, this can cause real anger .
  • Blue LED. Because I use this single speaker in mono setup, in the middle, directly above my monitor, its blue LED is too bright for me. Maybe I'm too sensitive that I don't want the blue disco in my face, but it doesn't match the product's 70's concept either. Yes, the lamp can be covered with tape, but you can't see if the speaker is on or not. I cut through the LED positive wire and added a resistor, much better, less disco.

After all these modifications this speaker works fine and I can use it for its purpose so I keep it for now, but I will call it "Gluetone".

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Auratone C5A - save the (new) speaker with plenty of glue-01.jpg   Auratone C5A - save the (new) speaker with plenty of glue-02.jpg   Auratone C5A - save the (new) speaker with plenty of glue-03.jpg   Auratone C5A - save the (new) speaker with plenty of glue-glue_and_led.jpg   Auratone C5A - save the (new) speaker with plenty of glue-00.jpg  

Attached Images
Auratone C5A - save the (new) speaker with plenty of glue-image.png 

Last edited by sott; 20th September 2019 at 09:46 PM..
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear
Can you elaborate on the sound after the fix?
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear
Congrats on your fixes. I’ve also found hot glue to be vital 8n my studio.

FWIW, Awfultones’ glory — the passive ones, which is what I used, and still have as auxes in my 7.1 calibrated room.— wasn’t their sound. It was their consistency, which you could count on in different rooms (especially in the nearfield).
Old 30th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
Can you elaborate on the sound after the fix?
Not sure what You like to know. I can say it does not ring mechanically anymore. It means sound does not contain extra mechanical noise, sound is more clear.

Cheers,
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sott View Post
Not sure what You like to know. I can say it does not ring mechanically anymore. It means sound does not contain extra mechanical noise, sound is more clear.

Cheers,
I meant compared to the USA made Auratone. Are you satisfied with mixing in mono with these? Are they good enough for that midrange reference?
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

Wait a minute, you blast the name Auratone...............but its a..................

BEHRINGER

Look at the circuit board!!
Did you buy a counterfeit Auratone?
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

It looks to me that the speakers from Auratone.eu are a Behringer built product - and that Auratoneaudio.com speakers are built in the USA. So it appears the European Auratones/Behringer have a licensingagreement with Auratone USA.
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
It looks to me that the speakers from Auratone.eu are a Behringer built product - and that Auratoneaudio.com speakers are built in the USA. So it appears the European Auratones/Behringer have a licensingagreement with Auratone USA.
Behringer and licensing in the same sentence, thats funny!!
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Behringer and licensing in the same sentence, thats funny!!

Yeah - I should have said that Behringer was building them for Auratone EU! LOL!
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear

Here's a quote:

"Hi all,

This is Alex Jacobsen with Auratone, grandson of the late Jack Wilson, the founder of Auratone and creator of the beloved 5C speaker. I'd like to help bring some clarity to this topic.

The Music Group/Behringer Auratone C5A and C50A are not related to us and our Auratone 5C in anyway. We have not sold nor licensed the brand. We are in a pending lawsuit with Music Group in US District Court regarding this matter.

There is also pending ligation in Europe in the EUIPO, and a decision in that case is imminent. All of these cases are of public record.

Auratone has been a family business for over 50 years, and we continue to operate as one, the way Jack would have wanted it. We look to carry on his legacy and are committed to protecting that.

Alex"
Old 30th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Here's a quote:

"Hi all,

This is Alex Jacobsen with Auratone, grandson of the late Jack Wilson, the founder of Auratone and creator of the beloved 5C speaker. I'd like to help bring some clarity to this topic.

The Music Group/Behringer Auratone C5A and C50A are not related to us and our Auratone 5C in anyway. We have not sold nor licensed the brand. We are in a pending lawsuit with Music Group in US District Court regarding this matter.

There is also pending ligation in Europe in the EUIPO, and a decision in that case is imminent. All of these cases are of public record.

Auratone has been a family business for over 50 years, and we continue to operate as one, the way Jack would have wanted it. We look to carry on his legacy and are committed to protecting that.

Alex"
Thanks man! What a shocking info.

It's good to know that the real legend Auratone hasn't really gone down, it's just being exploited badly by Behringer. I still cant believe it is real... unbelievable.

While I was inspecting / repairing it, I was quite disappointed with the poor build quality of the C5A, not appropriate for the legendary brand.

Another thing I could not understand was that why they changed the frequency response, why it is different from the legendary one? Now I know, Behringer just could not copy it good enough. Knowing that low frequencies need a amplifier power, the reason may be the economical solution of the amplifier itself. However, I can't say I miss the low frequencies on this speaker.

Now I feel like I have a stinky rat in my studio.

Last edited by sott; 30th November 2019 at 11:27 PM..
Old 30th November 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I meant compared to the USA made Auratone. Are you satisfied with mixing in mono with these? Are they good enough for that midrange reference?
Sadly I have not heard USA made Auratone, cant tell the difference but it should be slightly different as the frequency response is not the same - C5A = 150-15,000 Hz / 5C = 80-15,000 Hz.

For me, it does the job, it gives me another, "not so perfect world" & "limited" perspective. You will surely hear the mid frequency focus and details.

I've listened to a lot of music with it now to get used to this speaker. One thing is for sure, bad mix sounds bad with this speaker, good mix sounds OK, so it works. One good thing is that it helps to get the bass in place so that it translates.

Last edited by sott; 30th November 2019 at 11:39 PM..
Old 30th November 2019
Lives for gear
I'm not sure why Behringer is using the Auratone name. They've been pretty creative with their synthesizer names and they used to sell Behritones or whatever.
Old 1st December 2019
Lives for gear

Not sure why, but the black C50A, also by Behringer has a wider freq response, listed as 90hz-17k, whereas the C5A is 150hz-15k...
Old 1st December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Not sure why, but the black C50A, also by Behringer has a wider freq response, listed as 90hz-17k, whereas the C5A is 150hz-15k...
Plastic vs particle board?
Old 1st December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure why Behringer is using the Auratone name. They've been pretty creative with their synthesizer names and they used to sell Behritones or whatever.
They believe the Auratone name was abandoned.
Its all in litigation as we speak.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search