The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Gear mods
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear
Gear mods

I have 10 years experience in soldering(thru hole and smt), I can repair and troubleshoot stuff relatively well, and I am an electrician apprentice. I was wondering if there were any websites or youtube channels or books about modding audio gear. I am mostly focused on upgrading op amps, vcas, tubes, adding transformers, etc. because I don't have a lot of money currently and won't be making big bucks for a few years. Plus I like reviving old gear and keeping it out of landfills. I even revive old tools to use at work. I am just a thrifty person.

Before anyone asks I don't hate plugins I actually use all freeware plugins currently and enjoy it but the ergonomics are terrible for me and I get indecisive and prefer to go with gear I know intimiately and have to commit with, I cut my teeth on live sound, broadcast, and recording my band on 4 tracks and old digital recorders so I just prefer to do a lot of external processing.

So far I have brought a shure m68 line mixer my friend found in a shack on his property back to life, all new caps and transistors, beefed up caps in power supply, paint job, etc. and I like it but having to rely on forum posts of previous people doing mods seems like I am not learning enough.

Thank you for your time!
Old 14th September 2019
Here for the gear
bumping, won't bump again though.
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Guru

GroupDIY should be to your taste.
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanmantony View Post
... but having to rely on forum posts of previous people doing mods seems like I am not learning enough.
TBH that is a great way to learn if you dont know a gear guru.

And yes, sub to GDIY.
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Google “(name of gear) mods” and then you can attach the website name on also. This will give you lots of hits.

Get a book named “Optimizing Op Amp Performance” by Jerald Graeme. Then when you get stuck google is your friend.
Old 15th September 2019
Here for the gear
Thank you for the replies, I will check that book out, continue to search posts, and groupdiy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Not OP, but I'm interested in similar things, though am not a technician. I applied to Group DIY over a week ago and am still awaiting the mods approving me for the board. Without being registered I cannot see photos posted.

Is anyone up to date on who is a mod there? Are they on gear slutz? Or could someone who is on there message them?

My username there is the same as here: ggodfrey.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search