The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Broken WA73 (1073) – Crackling, Hiss in Output section
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Broken WA73 (1073) – Crackling, Hiss in Output section

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with ma Wa73 Neve clone. I already send it back, but it came back to me still having the same problem.

At some point during recording the unit starts crackling and hissing by itself, regardless of the input section. The noise will only go away if you turn the ouput volum knob all the way down and than back up. Then the noise will be gone for a couple of minutes until it starts all over again. Switching to insert or EQ Channel doesn't make any difference.

Anyone here who knows about this kind of problem?

Cheers,

Martin

_____

Okay I just fixed my preamp!!!

I opened it and searched for loose contacts with a plastic pen while listening to the output signal and boom, the second little thing I moved in the output section was the problem. Just had to move it a tiny bit. Unfortunately I couldn't find the name of the thing online. It's not an electrolytic capacitor or resistor or anything I would know. It's one of these little white/silvery plastic pins with a connection on the bottom (thats where it was loose) and a wire sticking out of the head that connects with a point on the board next to the pin.

If I'm getting the problem again now I'll just go and see a tec somewhere (there must be some in Berlin) to let him exchange the thing.

Anyway, I'm super glad I don't have to send the amp back as I don't have another one and I wouldn't wanna trust the tecs at warm audio with it – or the bumpy shipping road – again.

Apart from the bad contact the unit looks very good inside btw. Everything is very neat and clean and the soldering seems propper. I guess it can happen to anyone.

Cheers,

Martin

Last edited by Maschu; 2 days ago at 03:01 AM.. Reason: SOLVED
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Send it back to Warm (again). They obviously didn’t repair it. Is it under any kind of warranty from the purchase or repair?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Yeah, Thoman runs this, I just have to send it back to them. It's such a pain though. Because it will take ages again and I'm in the middle of recording my album. I will call them tomorrow and ask for a new model and otherwise unscrew the thing and check for bad solders etc...

cheers
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschu View Post
Yeah, Thoman runs this, I just have to send it back to them. It's such a pain though. Because it will take ages again and I'm in the middle of recording my album. I will call them tomorrow and ask for a new model and otherwise unscrew the thing and check for bad solders etc...

cheers
I wouldn’t touch it. You are giving them a reason to say you voided the warranty by tampering with it. You want a new item that works, not a “new” item that didn’t work correctly until you applied some spit and baling wire. That’s what you do with an old, cranky piece of gear.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Okay that's true. I will call them today
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Recording an album on a warm audio ?
Yikes.....
Wa I think is a fine option for the home studio,
But not a working for hire studio.

Surly you have other pres?

Return it for sure, this is the China gamble you take, I would think a return would go smoothly they know units like this fail.

I would return it personally and step up to at least a heritage elite series...

Just saying!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I don’t think the OP said he had a for hire studio.
Obviously, you think that Warm makes inferior products. I haven’t auditioned the Warm or the Heritage, but there are a lot of positive reviews of the Warm (and some negative). I haven’t heard much about the Heritage. Have you worked with both?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

I don't think the warm sounds bad at all. And I was just wondering if anyone here had some experience with the crackling noise I got with it.

Anyway thanks for sharing...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I have no experience with the problem you are having specifically on the warm preamp, but, I have had both those symptoms from transistors in mic preamps. Op amps sometimes do the same, but I hope there aren’t any op amps in there. A bad solder joint can do the same.

If always put warm in the same general category as gap... mediocre sound quality from subpar parts with lots of technical problems. If it had already been repaired by them once and it’s still broken, I would stay far far away. You are better off building your own quality kit imho. Or pick up some spectra sonics cards, those sound awesome racked up into mic pres!!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Yes I tested both, I use the HA elite in my home studio a few times a week, the warm was sent back.. no 1073 had ic chips in it or only 2 eductors.... I could go on if you wish??!! Tone wise the HA unit sounds better, sticks to the original Idea of the 1073 better than warm did , and uses better parts inside, also it’s not built in China!
China has qc issues, and is the reason for this post is it not?
Price wise for a 1073 with the eq, warm and ha are very close...

I also build mic pres for studios....I kinda have a thing with 1073’s and 312’s and a few others..
Do goofy things like bode plots on eq’s vrs Real 1073s, look at out put transformers with square wave to look for overshoot and ringing issues...
I say this not to make myself something, but to let you know it’s not just some off the cuff remark.
The HA elite is a heck of a bargain, and the corners cut to make the price point I am good with.
It does the neve thing reasonably well.

A pair of 1073 clones I am working on currently with eq in a one u rack. It will sound better than both, but is a bit much for my home studio.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken WA73 (1073) – Crackling, Hiss in Output section-e232e6d4-c600-49f9-a837-930e5c4762b7.jpg  

Last edited by chipss36; 3 days ago at 04:21 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Chipss36,
Thanks for the detailed response. Heritage is manufactured in Spain, which definitely isn’t China, but it isn’t Germany or Austria either. I don’t think Chinese manufacturing is not capable of quality work. Most electronics and communication devices are built in China. If Warm has a quality control problem, it isn’t because China is incapable of quality work, it is specific to the factory and quality protocols specific to Warm products.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with ma Wa73 Neve clone. I already send it back, but it came back to me still having the same problem.

At some point during recording the unit starts crackling and hissing by itself, regardless of the input section. The noise will only go away if you turn the ouput volum knob all the way down and than back up. Then the noise will be gone for a couple of minutes until it starts all over again. Switching to insert or EQ Channel doesn't make any difference.

Anyone here who knows about this kind of problem?

Cheers,

Martin
Which equipment is the WA73 connected to? Any possibility that connected units might be not be compatible in some way: earthing, impedance, etc.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Neve 1073s and clones are not known for ...
Crackling ....unless something is wrong.
Adding color, yes, fat bottom yes, smooth high end, yes....somewhat slightly over filtered for broadcast environments? Yes!!!! Geoff talks about this...
Crackling....NO
No matter what mic is used. Ribbons to large condenser.
Something is wrong with the unit you have.
or you have a bad cable.
It’s just that simple, and is the risk you take buying china gear, it is inconsistent.
Clearly even repair is inconsistent as well.
Yikes.
May be third time is a charm????

Cheep and cheerful, I have given a better opinion at around the same price point.
Spain btw has produced some of the worlds best classical guitars for many many years..
China is known for what? Exactly

But hey, could be the crackle sound, and poor repair service,
may be the next big thing, what do I know...
Glad you like the sound, enjoy it!
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Which equipment is the WA73 connected to? Any possibility that connected units might be not be compatible in some way: earthing, impedance, etc.
Hey man, thanks for being constructive!

It's connected to the line in of my fireface 802 set to +4. I get the noise regardless of the input chosen so I'm guessing it's the EQ or Output section. I send and return to a pair of compressors, but playing around with the insert knob also doesn't affect the noise.

I just had a look inside the unit, there are no bad solders visible to me.

The ground lift switch doesn't do anything either btw. Maybe I should ground the unit manually? How do I do that?

Cheers,

M
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
China is known for what? Exactly
Do you think that China is just a descriptive word for dishes or a table tennis powerhouse?

You’ve never heard of gunpowder, paper, porcelain... the list is almost endless, so I won’t cite every exact example.

In the modern world, China is known for, among other things, industrial innovation, rapid economic growth, and being a nuclear, military and space power.

If you haven’t bought any “inferior” Chinese products, your residence and studio would either be fairly empty, or they are filled with stuff from the 20th Century (which WOULD make them very cool places to see).
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Hey man, thanks for being constructive!

It's connected to the line in of my fireface 802 set to +4. I get the noise regardless of the input chosen so I'm guessing it's the EQ or Output section. I send and return to a pair of compressors, but playing around with the insert knob also doesn't affect the noise.

I just had a look inside the unit, there are no bad solders visible to me.

The ground lift switch doesn't do anything either btw. Maybe I should ground the unit manually? How do I do that?

Cheers,

M
TBH I don't know a lot about electronics; I recommend contacting a qualified tech to diagnose and fix the issue.

With the BAE preamps (1073-style) there were some users who reported noise when the unit was racked near digital devices. Moving the unit to a different position fixed the problem.

Are you using a mic with the WA73? Does the same issue happen with the DI?
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
TBH I don't know a lot about electronics; I recommend contacting a qualified tech to diagnose and fix the issue.

With the BAE preamps (1073-style) there were some users who reported noise when the unit was racked near digital devices. Moving the unit to a different position fixed the problem.

Are you using a mic with the WA73? Does the same issue happen with the DI?
Yeah, same with DI and Line input. Maybe I should try the unit a little further away from my Interface and Laptop. It's an idea!
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Yeah, same with DI and Line input. Maybe I should try the unit a little further away from my Interface and Laptop. It's an idea!
Yes, definitely worth a try; if the noise is still there try swapping the XLR cables in case one has a crossed wire.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Okay I just fixed my preamp!!!

I opened it and searched for loose contacts with a plastic pen while listening to the output signal and boom, the second little thing I moved in the output section was the problem. Just had to move it a tiny bit. Unfortunately I couldn't find the name of the thing online. It's not an electrolytic capacitor or resistor or anything I would know. It's one of these little white/silvery plastic pins with a connection on the bottom (thats where it was loose) and a wire sticking out of the head that connects with a point on the board next to the pin.

If I'm getting the problem again now I'll just go and see a tec somewhere (there must be some in Berlin) to let him exchange the thing.

Anyway, I'm super glad I don't have to send the amp back as I don't have another one and I wouldn't wanna trust the tecs at warm audio with it – or the bumpy shipping road – again.

Apart from the bad contact the unit looks very good inside btw. Everything is very neat and clean and the soldering seems propper. I guess it can happen to anyone...

Cheers,

Martin
Old 2 days ago
Great news! I hope Warm Audio read this and cover your tech fees. They should have picked up the fault when you first returned it.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for your help!
Old 18 hours ago
Company Rep

We're sorry to hear you've had issues with your WA73. Please reach out to us at [email protected] and we'd be happy to make it right.

I would also like to clear up any confusion on how we operate. Our QC team is based in our Austin, TX headquarters and every item shipped out goes through testing in-house. Unfortunately, some problems arise, most of which are caused during the shipping process. If anyone ever has issues please reach out to us directly and we will make it right.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search