The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is this a 3 band resistor?
Old 1 week ago
Is this a 3 band resistor?

Im pretty sure this is a 3 band resistor or is read like a 3 band resistor (body/end/stripe) and if so, is 68k at 10%

If that's true, it's reading 89k!

Am i reading it right?
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a 3 band resistor?-20190813_193632.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

You're measuring it right. When you read it, the first color is grey, so that's an 8. If the next color is blue, that should be a 6. If 6 could be 9, then everything else's fine, since orange is the 1 k that makes 89k... It's high, but not kiss-the-sky high...

http://www.resistorguide.com/resisto...de-calculator/
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_mask View Post
You're measuring it right. When you read it, the first color is grey, so that's an 8. If the next color is blue, that should be a 6. If 6 could be 9, then everything else's fine, since orange is the 1 k that makes 89k... It's high, but not kiss-the-sky high...

http://www.resistorguide.com/resisto...de-calculator/
Odd. So it reads like a 4 band still?

I can't really tell compositon either. Im kmagkning it's and old carbon comp but it feels........plasticy
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If the gray things on the ends are metal, it would look like a carbon film resistor... of the same vintage as the rest of the stuff on the photo.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
Im pretty sure this is a 3 band resistor or is read like a 3 band resistor (body/end/stripe) and if so, is 68k at 10%

If that's true, it's reading 89k!

Am i reading it right?
Close, but backwards Sam. Its 86K @10%

This series of 4 band has the 2nd band repeat on the body after the multiplier. Erie or Stackpole brand resistor.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
Close, but backwards Sam. Its 86K @10%

This series of 4 band has the 2nd band repeat on the body after the multiplier. Erie or Stackpole brand resistor.

Ah!. Thanks. Im thinking under the heat of the tube amp these get out of spec even farther. At least i can read 'em now!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ah!. Thanks. Im thinking under the heat of the tube amp these get out of spec even farther. At least i can read 'em now!
I wouldn't think as much on the grey body ones, They oversized them on purpose so that it doesn't generate a lot of self noise. I wouldn't worry about them unless they are causing noise. The electrolytic right by there I would definitely change because those really degrade with age..

Usually, when these resistors get really noisy, the outer casing is compromised (usually, a crack along the mold seam) when that happens, rust forms on the lead going out of the body.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
I wouldn't think as much on the grey body ones, They oversized them on purpose so that it doesn't generate a lot of self noise. I wouldn't worry about them unless they are causing noise. The electrolytic right by there I would definitely change because those really degrade with age..

Usually, when these resistors get really noisy, the outer casing is compromised (usually, a crack along the mold seam) when that happens, rust forms on the lead going out of the body.
The weird thing with this amp can is, all those look like electrolytic caps, but they read like film caps now do. .25mfd @ 400v
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
The weird thing with this amp can is, all those look like electrolytic caps, but they read like film caps now do. .25mfd @ 400v
Its a paper and oil cap. They develop extra resistance in series when they dry out. Usually, you can bridge across them with something around the same value if there is loss in response, and I would use a film and foil cap (round wound, non-metallized poly)in parallel. Still far superior to those Wima box capacitors, even aged out of tolerance.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search