The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pioneer DJM700 phonos Humming
Old 15th June 2019
Here for the gear

Pioneer DJM700 phonos Humming

Hi GS

My DJM700 mixer is giving me a hum from all three phono channels, even when there is nothing at all connected to any channel inputs.

My line and CD inputs are fine, no humming there.

Ive checked the C5 capacitor and it seems fine. But given that it's only on phono would suggest its not a mains power input issue. More an issue with grounding the phonos?

Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

A phono preamp is a high-impedance, high-gain circuit. It is the very definition of the kind of circuit that collects as much hum as possible from everywhere.

For that reason, it is NOT VALID to evaluate or test a phono (or microphone or guitar) input which is not terminated. The typical practice is to use a shorting plug when evaluating, testing or working on a high-impedance (or high-gain) input.

Short the input(s) of all high-impedance, high-gain circuits. THEN evaluate or measure the circuits. If the SNR (Signal-to Noise Ratio) is still unacceptable, THEN you can start troubleshooting (BrEnglish: "fault-finding").
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search