The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Would it hurt my speakers to put them on a switched outlet?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Would it hurt my speakers to put them on a switched outlet?

So I can turn them on and off with a light switch rather than reaching alllll the way back behind each one.

Is there any electrical difference between applying power via an audio device's power switch vs an external switch on the receptacle the device is plugged in to?

The speakers are Event Opals, if that matters at all.

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Long as the switched outlet has enough amperage, should be fine...

unless you're feeding the speakers unbalanced. Then there's a chance of a ground loop, depending on how the switched outlet is wired (compared to the previous unswitched one). But you can't tell without trying. And there are solutions for ground loops.

I'd be a little leery of using a wifi-controlled 'smart plug' adapter for switching... those things might radiate RF hash that gets into your speaker.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
Long as the switched outlet has enough amperage, should be fine...

unless you're feeding the speakers unbalanced. Then there's a chance of a ground loop, depending on how the switched outlet is wired (compared to the previous unswitched one). But you can't tell without trying. And there are solutions for ground loops.
The safety ground should never, ever be switched on a switched outlet or elsewhere in an electrical distribution system. Generally it will be just the hot switched, with the neutral unswitched; but it is not unheard of to have the neutral and hot reversed (which is a fault that should be fixed, but nevertheless it can happen), or odd switching arrangements.

There should be no problems whatsoever with a standard switch. If the mixer or whatever is providing a signal to the speakers is switched on the same outlet, there could be pops when powering up if the speakers "come alive" a bit quicker than the mixer, no different than if they are turned on manually before it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Of course the ground won't be switched (in a code-compliant outlet). Neither should the neutral.

But
a) Any time you've got an unbalanced circuit connected to an Edison-grounded device, there's a chance for a ground loop. Standard cures apply.
b) I have seen situations where an amp or other sensitive gear was moved to an outlet on the other side of a split 240 feed - like the ones in most home/office breaker panels - and developed a ground loop.

Will the OP necessarily get a ground loop? Who knows? That's why I said "there's a chance" in my response.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben J View Post
So I can turn them on and off with a light switch rather than reaching alllll the way back behind each one.

Is there any electrical difference between applying power via an audio device's power switch vs an external switch on the receptacle the device is plugged in to?

The speakers are Event Opals, if that matters at all.

Thanks
No problem. Do however consider a power conditioner/surge suppressor/main switch inserted between a wall outlet and your gear.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys. I'm planning on wiring up the power switch on or near my desk. The house has brand new electrical (conduit required in Chicago), so I don't think ground loops will be an issue, and of course I'll wire the hot to be switched. And yes, they'll be plugged into a power conditioner and possibly a UPS as well. Thanks again, I'll chalk this up as "probably ok."
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben J View Post
...they'll be plugged into a power conditioner and possibly a UPS as well..."
If you're going to plug them into a UPS then why have a mains switch?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Also, if you're plugging them into a power conditioner, why not just get one with an on/off switch and use that to turn things on and off?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search