The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Deciphering capacitors...
Old 6th June 2019
Deciphering capacitors...

Can someone help me read these caps? The information is out there but is ever so slightly confusing.
Attached are pictures of two caps, both metallized polyester films, as far as I've understood.
First, small one reads:
H.22J
100 MEF

According to:
http://kaizerpowerelectronics.dk/the...or-code-table/

22J means 220000pF = 0.22uF @ 5% tolerance
While I'm guessing that H. = 1H = 50VDC?

So, H.22J should mean 0.22uF, 5%, 50VDC?

MEF simply means metallized polyester, while 100 means... something?

----

Next, big one. This is (most likely) a suppression cap, and should be treated with respect.
It says a lot of things, what I immediately read as important are .1uF, 250V and X2-rating.
Is anything else there of importance or do those cover it?
And, final question, is the 250V rating on this AC or DC (or both)?

A lot of nitpicking here, but I think its important to get this right. Hope you guys can straighten this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Deciphering capacitors...-img_20190605_143352.jpg   Deciphering capacitors...-img_20190603_113227.jpg  
Old 6th June 2019

First cap. The 100 is probably the voltage.

Voltage rating typically refers to the maximum DC voltage across the capacitor.

-tINY

Old 6th June 2019
Gear Addict

The symbol in front of the .22 id the manufacturer's logo.
Both are self healing metallized poly propolene
0.22 Uf 5% 100VAC

The voltage rating is not critical, and some manufacturers offer 250VAC as the smallest voltage rating for their MEF series. MKP series can be used instead.

The other cap: .1uf 10% 250VAC is a line filter cap "X2" means flameproof, and tested for across mains ac wires. That particular one, Panasonic discontinued making, and I use : MPX104K305D by Illinois Capacitor in its place.

Both are AC ratings, unless otherwise marked because they are non polarized caps and can be install either way in the circuit.
Old 7th June 2019
Thanks a lot guys. Valuable information.

Can this:
https://www.digikey.no/products/en?k...AW31004C00MSSD
be used as a general replacement for old .1uF X2 suppression caps?

Its confusing, because these caps are apparently build from different sorts of material; polyester, polypropylene, paper. This one is polypropylene. I'm guessing this is just the most modern material used, and that old vintage gear will have different material caps doing the same job (suppression)?
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

If you're going to be messing with electronic components, I recommend you buy a multi meter with the ability to measure caps.
They include it as a standard feature on most meters now and you can buy one for less then $20 these days. Then if you're in doubt of what the caps value is, you can simply test it. You'll find its especially useful when you have a box of used caps where the lettering is worn or faded and when the cap values have drifted out of specs.

I was having issues with the ohm settings on my old Fluke meter ($300 back in the day and it just read volts current and resistance) I found one on EBay that did all that plus measured, caps, frequency and temp. Paid $25 and it even had a decent case for it. It wasn't as durable as some of my older meters but I don't do field work any more so durability wasn't a huge concern.
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutty Professor View Post
Thanks a lot guys. Valuable information.

Can this:
https://www.digikey.no/products/en?k...AW31004C00MSSD
be used as a general replacement for old .1uF X2 suppression caps?

Its confusing, because these caps are apparently build from different sorts of material; polyester, polypropylene, paper. This one is polypropylene. I'm guessing this is just the most modern material used, and that old vintage gear will have different material caps doing the same job (suppression)?
They claim to be compliant, but as far as I see, they haven't been certified to be compliant because I don't see the approval seals that are stamped on it. So I couldn't use them for any warranty based repairs.
Old 10th June 2019
And what approval seals would that be? They are rated X2.
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Nut

The old ones (images) is built around 5% tolerance you stated, and the new one (link) is built with 20%.
Not sure if that's good enough, I think you should find one with same tolerance area.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutty Professor View Post
And what approval seals would that be? They are rated X2.
UR/UL symbols that means the part was tested for un-fused line use by a certification lab.
Old 24th June 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
If you're going to be messing with electronic components, I recommend you buy a multi meter with the ability to measure caps.
They include it as a standard feature on most meters now and you can buy one for less then $20 these days.
I bought a LCR-T4 for about $10. I love it. It might not be the most accurate thing in the world but it helps me identify those mystery capacitors and gives me the hFE of my transistors.

Also handy when I find a stray resistor and I'm feeling too lazy to read the colour codes :D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search