The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DOD R-825 mod?
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Maniac

DOD R-825 mod?

Helle there.

I just have the opportunity to get 2 DOD R-825 compressors for dirt cheap. I just read that they have the DBX 2150A VCA chips (like the DBX 160) and someone mention on this forum they can be modded to get some kind of an SSL compressor...

Anyone can give me more informations on that?

I found a post somehwere else where they discuss about the mods possibilities:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipm...BIgMC_0QU22N50

Also, here is the schematics of the unit!

https://ibb.co/kMZScWn

Thanks for any input!

Guilaume
Attached Thumbnails
DOD R-825 mod?-dod_r825_compressor_sch.jpg  
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Maniac

More information: Do you have a soldering station?
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Yes I do, and also a desoldering station and soldering notions and experience.
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by niva View Post
Yes I do, and also a desoldering station and soldering notions and experience.
Super cool. Have a pair of 825.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

I don’t have the greatest of experience but have successfully done several compressors across several different manufacturers. Replacing the DBX 2150 VCA with a DBX 2180a VCA is always an improvement. You remove the trim circuit off pin 4 of the VCA or just cut pin 4 off. I recap the electrolytic caps value for value unless I’m following mods by someone with much more experience than me. I bypass electo’s in the audio path with .01 WIMA caps. All those 4558 op amps can be swapped that are in the audio path. Do a search for replacements. I use opa2134’s or lme49720’s depending on what I’m trying to accomplish. If there’s a resistor in the feedback loop I’ll start by dropping a 23pf cap across pins 1 and 2 and then 6 and 7. You’ll need to check stability with a scope. Decoupling the op amps with a .1uF mono ceramic from the positive power pin to ground and the negative power pin to ground of each op amp is needed also. Have you googled DOD 825 mods? That’s always my first step when I’m approaching mods. There’s not much gear left in the world that someone hasn’t done something to.

On a different note, I’ve always wondered about these. How do you like them in stock form. $80 to $130 for a single channel compressor isn’t bad.

Last edited by Brian M. Boykin; 8th June 2019 at 06:36 PM..
Old 8th June 2019
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search