The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Custom Neve Comp/Limiter- Left side only works when Stereo Linked.... HELP
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Custom Neve Comp/Limiter- Left side only works when Stereo Linked.... HELP

Hi-

I have an IJ Research Custom Stereo Neve Compressor and limiter, made of original vintage Neve cards and original Trannys from those original compressors and preamps.

It is a combination of a 2254 and a 33609, where the gain makeup is the 2254 and detector is the 33609.

Sounds totally amazing and super flexible too.

Today at session the left channel's compressor did not work.
Only the Gain makeup and the limiter section worked.

However, when I switched the Stereo Link ON, the right channel controlled the left channel as if Right side Compressor is on both sides (Not summed to Mono, just same compression on both channels, and some functions on the Left did work).
When i disabled the Stereo link, The Left side did not do compression anymore.

Does this sound like a Short somewhere inside? I recently had my gear moved to a new room and this is the first time im using it in the new room.
Can it be that something moved inside...?
Any advice before i get it to an expensive tech?
Could it be something simple? Where would you look?

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hmm, theres probably 100 bits in there, and quite a few will affect how its going to work. If you dont have the technical expertise, perhaps take it to someone who does. Your question is just like
'My car doesn't work, whats wrong with it?'
We cant really answer that.
Old 1 week ago
Open it up and reseat the cards. If that does not bring it back, you will need to send it to a tech.

Because it is custom one off type deal, a pretty hefty bill is to be expected and a lighter fee would be a pleasant suprise. Expect to pay for their time to reverse engineer it. Find all the documents on it you can before handing it over to minimize time spent investigating the construction. And better yet, see if the guy that built it will look at it, which would be the best bet. Good luck.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for your replies! Much appreciate.
I thought naively that the Stereo Link aspect would give a hint as far as where to look first, but alas, it is not the case...

Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Any NYC Based Tech that is good and not killer in hourly fees?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

if it helps : I bet this is the unit :: (inside pics)

https://reverb.com/item/141334-ij-re...rid-compressor

I would :

- unplug, and replug all those molex connectors ... I see like 6x but there might be more.

- unseat, and reseat that opamp card too

Of course do all this with the unit TURNED OFF.

if it's still got bad behavior, it's likely a component level fix. See if that original seller has schematics or anything that could save time for a tech to fix it. (a few hours of research might save you $xxxx's in tech time)

if it was working, then got moved and is then not working .. it sounds like a mechanical issue. . . Doesn't mean it couldn't be a component level one, but start with the big stuff that could have possibly come loose in the move.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
if it helps : I bet this is the unit :: (inside pics)

https://reverb.com/item/141334-ij-re...rid-compressor

I would :

- unplug, and replug all those molex connectors ... I see like 6x but there might be more.

- unseat, and reseat that opamp card too

Of course do all this with the unit TURNED OFF.

if it's still got bad behavior, it's likely a component level fix. See if that original seller has schematics or anything that could save time for a tech to fix it. (a few hours of research might save you $xxxx's in tech time)

if it was working, then got moved and is then not working .. it sounds like a mechanical issue. . . Doesn't mean it couldn't be a component level one, but start with the big stuff that could have possibly come loose in the move.
Yes- Its identical to the Unit in that Reverb Ad you linked.

Thanks for that! Ill report back!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search