The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help identifying Schaller Reverb tank
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Help identifying Schaller Reverb tank

Hey,

I’ve been restoring an old Schaller Reverb unit that has been a bit neglected (on loan to my buddy for 20yrs), the main issue is that the reverb sounds unpleasant, raspy/scratchy/overdriven.

I’ve gone through and recapped all the electrolytics, that got rid of some hum, i then had a sense that the AD191 AD192 drivers may be bad so i bought so NOS and replaced, no improvement.

There are 4 siemens BC109B’s that look corroded and i’ve got a new set enroute, but i’m thinking they actual problem probably lies with the tank itself.

Unfortunatley, there are no part identifiers on the tank. It looks like a type-8 tank, but instead of 3 springs it has 4 (2 on the top and 2 underneath).

I don’t see anything modern built around that design so i’m considering just going with a 3-spring version (unless ive missed a 2x2 one available). Problem is i have no idea what the impedence values are, but i think i read that you can identify by looking at the coil colors?

Any help with identifying what model tank this is and what its in/out impedence might be. The transducers look like theyve seen better days, so can’t help but feel i need to replace the whole shebang.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Help identifying Schaller Reverb tank-7c585904-1262-4617-a600-05766846fdc2.jpg   Help identifying Schaller Reverb tank-bb105142-73bb-458b-8687-f707db7ac7bb.jpg   Help identifying Schaller Reverb tank-3ebe1095-7870-4f05-b99a-8573faa83012.jpg   Help identifying Schaller Reverb tank-598b3906-ae74-4743-828c-788217f56dd7.jpg   Help identifying Schaller Reverb tank-a8c5b8db-9fdd-4c13-9483-2ed49cfb0092.jpg  

Help identifying Schaller Reverb tank-a2b40b76-e713-471e-8195-5856e463b05f.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Other than obvious mechanical damage (usually in an abused combo amp), it has been my experience that when a reverb tank fails, usually one of the coils has gone open circuit. You can test for that quite easily, without knowing the coil specs. From what you described, I would check the output coil first (disconnected from the preamp).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search