The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JX-3P rom upgrade?
Old 16th May 2019
JX-3P rom upgrade?

Hey all,

I've had my JX-3P for a few months now and I must say that I really enjoy it. However I would really find it useful to have it respond to midi velocity. I know the Kiwi Mod exists, as well as the Riversynths MIDI expansion kit, but I read in an old Sound on Sound article that Roland had a ROM upgrade that added velocity, which seems like it would be much cheaper and easier to install.

I found a couple ebay listings that claim to be the velocity ROM (version 4.0).

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Roland-JX-3P...gAAOSwx2BcfrZT

Has anybody tried the ROM upgrade? Does version 4.0 definitely add velocity? (over midi of course). I managed to obtain a copy of the version 4.0 ROM image, how difficult is it to burn one myself? Which EPROM chips can I use?
Old 24th June 2019
Here for the gear
I can't tell you about v4.0 - but I did the Kiwi 3P mod and de-soldering the ROM chip was not fun!

I could send you the EPROM I removed if you want to experiment. I had to cut some of the pins but you could make a daughterboard with some stripboard.
Old 30th June 2019
I actually ended up buying one of the Ebay roms, which wasn't too expensive. Luckily the ROM in my 3p was socketed. Unfortunately while the rom chip works ok, it doesn't seem to add velocity over midi as claimed, so I will be taking this up with the seller. Holding down '7' during power up is supposed to activate velocity over MIDI as I read in the SOS article, but with the rom I got this does nothing. Anyone know if there was an alternative method on different rom revisions?
Old 11th June 2020
Quote:
I actually ended up buying one of the Ebay roms, which wasn't too expensive. Luckily the ROM in my 3p was socketed. Unfortunately while the rom chip works ok, it doesn't seem to add velocity over midi as claimed, so I will be taking this up with the seller. Holding down '7' during power up is supposed to activate velocity over MIDI as I read in the SOS article, but with the rom I got this does nothing. Anyone know if there was an alternative method on different rom revisions?
Same here, on Tape mode, nothing happens after holding button "7" and hitting "Tape". Nor after doing a reset (power on) holding "5"(the "other" method I know). Supposedly, any of them would allow the MIDI velocity to control the Env Amount and the keyboard and sequencer would stop working.
Anyone with some light on this?
Old 21st June 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope Gutierrez View Post
Same here, on Tape mode, nothing happens after holding button "7" and hitting "Tape". Nor after doing a reset (power on) holding "5"(the "other" method I know). Supposedly, any of them would allow the MIDI velocity to control the Env Amount and the keyboard and sequencer would stop working.
Anyone with some light on this?
I’ve made a video on this, to verify if that v4.00 ROM actually adds this mode - which it doesn’t, as you have obviously found out already.
https://youtu.be/11tszui4cWg

According to a thread on the Dutch "Synthforum" site, Laurens Schelling, creator of the Organix mod, said that the v4.00 ROM was still a "standard" ROM - so v4.00 is NOT this velocity-adding ROM!
(original Dutch text first, and translation after that):

“Dat klopt, Roland heeft ooit een firmware update voor de JX-3P uitgebracht waarmee velocity via MIDI kan worden ontvangen. Helaas hebben de meeste JX-3P's die er zijn op de wereld deze update niet en ook mijn JX-3P had de "gewone" firmware (versie 4.00 om precies te zijn).”

Translation:

“That’s right, Roland has issued a firmware update for the JX-3P at some point, which allowed it to receive velocity via MIDI. Unfortunately, most JX-3Ps in the world haven’t got this update, and my JX-3P also had the “normal” firmware (version 4.00 to be precise).”

(Dutch site
https://www.synthforum.nl/forum/synt...751#post993751
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer K View Post
I’ve made a video on this, to verify if that v4.00 ROM actually adds this mode - which it doesn’t, as you have obviously found out already.
https://youtu.be/11tszui4cWg
I've deepened my research with another ROM, with positive results!
There IS indeed a "velocity ROM", which requires a small hardware modification:
https://youtu.be/CnQYcKpPyc4

Finally any uncertainty has been taken away :-)
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear