The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to replace Warm Audio WA87 Transformer Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

How to replace Warm Audio WA87 Transformer

Hello all.

I just got a TAB Funkenwerk AMI T13 Transformer, with the intention of replacing the stock transformer in the WA87. This is the same as the Zenpro Mod, except I'm doing it myself.

I am extremely familar with soldering and the such (modded almost all my equipment in some way or another) , but cant find any specific detailed DIY for this modification.

I know if the transformer is wired up wrong, it can reverse the polarity, and at worst, brick the microphone. So I was wondering if anyone has done this mod, and can provide me with wiring instructions so I ensure I get the polarity correct and the such.

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I've read that the T13's are commonly mis-wired at the factory -- and rather than following the wiring diagram for the T13 -- one should manually "measure the resistance of every pair of wires. The higher resistance wires connect to the capacitor and ground."

So, I did that and lo and behold, the factory mis-wired my T13!

Resistance between yellow wires = 21 Ohms
Resistance between black wires = 452 Ohms

So based on this, the yellow wires from the T13 should go to XLR pin 2 and pin 3, and the black wires from the T13 should go to capacitor and ground -- Is this correct?

My question is, and what I need help with, Is figuring out where the yellow and black wires go to on the WA-87 -- and ensuring the polarity is correct. The way the Cinemag 2480 was originally wired up was the following :

Red Wire to T1 on the WA-87
Brown Wire to T2 on the WA-87
Yellow Wire to T3 on the WA-87
Orange Wire to T4 on the WA-87

Some pictures I took :

Front :

https://imgur.com/a/o5ooL18

Back :

https://imgur.com/38dHFmY

Transformer removed, showing where the XLR Pins go on the board :

https://imgur.com/a/TEheDeh

I assume the blue wire Is ground because it goes to the middle? Is the red wire Pin 2 (+) of the XLR, and the yellow wire Pin 3 (-) of the XLR?

I would be forever grateful if someone could instruct me (based on factory mis-wired my T13) where each wire goes (T1, T2, T3, T4).

Normally the company ZenPro charges you $150 + Shipping for you to send them your WA-87 to do this Mod. This thread will surely serve useful for others attempting the same mod at home as a more affordable alternative!
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Hello,
Your post was brought to our attention...
If you purchased your T13 in the last 4yrs it arrived to your with a transformer data sheet inside lid of transformer box. Email us at [email protected] and we will email you the data sheet, not sure how add attachment here.
Your T13 is not mis-wired....our new website will launch soon..... we do not regularly update the old site, apologize for any inconvenience.

It does not matter which black you attach to capacitor, the yellow wire next to it is your xlr pin2.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search