The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Wavestation (Dead)
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Head

Korg Wavestation (Dead)

I picked up a Wavestation keyboard a couple of months ago. Aside from a dead battery and typical failing/dead backlight with the associated inverter hum all was good. Replaced the battery, loaded the sounds and even ended up replacing the EL backlight. The new backlight looked great but the inverter hum was still there so I eventually just unhooked the backlight connector from the power board and it ran fine like that for another month. That was until one day while fighting with my Computer recording software I had to restart my whole system (all rigs etc.) several times sometimes back to back. I'm sure you know where this is going. Next thing I notice is nothing but a few condensed lines on the screen. Everything dead. No sound, no midi control. Nothing. All that is left are the occasional lines in the screen and a slight buzzing coming directly from the power board right near the AC inlet possibly that first inverter. It's as if the power can't make it past that point or that enough isn't coming in to begin with. Yes I've tried different cords and outlets. Upon physical inspection no blown fuse, capacitors, no burn marks, no smell. Nothing. The fuse even tested fine. My fear is obvious that it's those [email protected] transformers/inverters on the power board that no one seems to know the specs or if they can be obtained at all. In the meantime of course I've been hunting to replace the whole power board with obviously little luck. Any insight would be more than appreciated.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Does sound like the power cycling messed up your power supply. Possibly one of the voltage regulators and/or associated capacitors. Suggest you measure the power supply DC outputs.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky Waters View Post
Does sound like the power cycling messed up your power supply. Possibly one of the voltage regulators and/or associated capacitors. Suggest you measure the power supply DC outputs.
Murky, how exactly do I test the DC outs? I do have a multimeter but am still new to it. Soldering and any other repair I'm ok with but the power board stuff is over my head.
Old 30th April 2019
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisiscobras View Post
Murky, how exactly do I test the DC outs? I do have a multimeter but am still new to it. Soldering and any other repair I'm ok with but the power board stuff is over my head.
A little risky sticking meter leads into a live circuit board without knowing what you are doing or what you are looking for. You will need to know what voltages the power supply is supposed to be producing and where they leave the power supply for the main board via the voltage regulators. Not something I can help you with from a distance. See if you can figure it out visually, or possibly with the aid of the schematic which you would need to try and locate online. Probably best to take it to a tech however.
Old 30th September 2019
Gear Head

I know its been awhile for this thread, but by chance have you figured anything out? Im having issues with mine, somewhat similar to OP's. Im currently looking at the power supply schematic. I believe Im having a power issue, due to the visual corrosion on my power supply.
Old 6th December 2019
Here for the gear

IIRC my WS acted the same way when I eventually put it back into action after years standing in the corner. In my case the culprit was one of the electrolytic capacitors of the psu. I am almost certain that this is also the case here.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search