The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is this 6386 tube limiter that I have?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

What is this 6386 tube limiter that I have?

Hello there.

Years ago I acquired this old tube limiter for not too much cash.
I always assumed it was a "custom" Gates Sta Level - possibly one that was built into a broadcast rack at a radio station or something..

I have thought about selling it a few times, but plugged it up recently and loved what I got out of it.

I wondered if anyone could shed anymore light on what I have here.
I feel like the "Sta Level" meter is slightly misleading, although the tubes seem to match those of a Sta Level:

2x 6v6, 1x 12AT7, 1x 5Y3, 1x OB2, 1x 6386

The input and output transformers are throwing me a bit, as the input is a UTC HA100X (as in the original LA2) and the output is a Triad S-32A (500ohm)

Anyone offer any info on this Frankenstein limiter I have? Was it common for things to built from kits for broadcast facilities?

Cheers

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 1 week ago

With a pair of 6v6 and a 15w output tranny, It's more than line-level... The fact that it's a 500ohm tap is interesting. I'd say it's probably a distribution amp or a driver for an RF box. Still, 2x6v6 seems like overkill.

-tINY

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I bet it’s some Frankenstein gizmo an engineer at a radio station made outta parts... they did that all the time back in the olden times
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Cheers for the input guys.
Yeah I'm starting to think it's a bit of a Frankenstein. It would probably work as a guitar amp, thinking about it now!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
The Sta-Level came from the factory with push-pull 6V6s. It was designed to drive long, low impedance telco lines to the transmitter.

Factory version also used a 6386, which is a dual triode with a special transfer curve that's helpful in dynamics control.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this 6386 tube limiter that I have?-stalevel.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
The Sta-Level came from the factory with push-pull 6V6s. It was designed to drive long, low impedance telco lines to the transmitter.

Factory version also used a 6386, which is a dual triode with a special transfer curve that's helpful in dynamics control.

Still seems like overkill - but the 6AQ5 was not a high-run tube (nor was the 6k6)....

-tINY

Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Still seems like overkill - but the 6AQ5 was not a high-run tube (nor was the 6k6)....

There’s no 6K6 in the box.

If you mean 6V6, it was one of the most popular tubes in mid-power amps, radios, etc. Pin compatible with 6L6, but lower power. Some folks prefer V in their guitar amps designed for L, because they feel it adds warmth.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
There’s no 6K6 in the box.

If you mean 6V6, it was one of the most popular tubes in mid-power amps, radios, etc. Pin compatible with 6L6, but lower power. Some folks prefer V in their guitar amps designed for L, because they feel it adds warmth.

If you want the characteristics of a 6v6 but only need to run a few watts, you can design an amp that will run a 6v6 on lower voltage and produce less than about 10w per tube. Both the 6k6 and the 6aq5 can be substituted in a 6v6 circuit running on lower voltage an producing less than about 6w per tube.

TDSL Tube data [6AQ5]

TDSL Tube data [6K6]

TDSL Tube data [6V6]

-tINY

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Indeed yes. But the OP was asking about what looked like a DIY compressor, both it and the original StaLevel used push-pull 6V6, and someone brought up that the 6K6 wasn't high-run.

My answer was that the originally queried 6V6 was indeed high run. As was its high-run higher power brother, 6L6 (or 807 or 5881).

Now... could Gates have designed it differently? Of course. I'd say it's possible that StaLevel used 6V6 at a lower voltage than normal because they didn't need the power... can't tell without an original schematic.

Further, I'd guess they used 6V6 because it was such a common, any-drugstore tube. Transmitter compressors are mission-critical for radio stations -- and these were the days when AM airtime was Big Money. They need to be fixed quickly.

Ditto the push-pull... they could have done a single-ended output, but a push-pull will still generate an output even if one tube fails.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Looks like a station built DIY Stalevel to me, certainly looks like an original meter which could have been purchased as a spare part. Many aspects are old tech, not stuff someone would have on hand to use today. Interesting that R36 looks like a Gates bracket and part number stamp, but not the one form a Stalevel, which is also R38. It looks like the bracket from an SA-39, but that's R3.

Last edited by emrr; 3 days ago at 06:07 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search