The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good Alligator Clips Leads
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Good Alligator Clips Leads

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some suggestions on good alligator clip leads for general electronics. Over the (many) years, I buy what is locally available, but they all have ended up invariably in the trash. The insulation sleeves become rigid, the teeth shift out of alignment, or the springs die, etc. looking forward to any suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

We don't know where you are? Or whether you are making your own cables, or buying ready-to-wear?
If you are in North America, I could confidently recommend Pomona brand alligator clips.
They are the quality design that all the cheap knock-off counterfeits aspire to be.

If you are buying "off the peg", this style from Asian vendors is noted by many people (including me) to be significantly better than the average stuff.

This style has much thicker metal and stronger springs. I haven't seen any problem with the plastic insulation, but I haven't had mine for much more than one year.

Julian Ilett did a recent postbag video where he looked inside...
(At 2:20 because GS apparently doesn't handle time references in YouTube)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thank-you. I know the company Pomona from other devices, so will look into them. It's the smaller clip variety that I use generally.

These are in the mix as well: https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-Ele.../dp/B078B7JN2G

Thanks again.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'll second Richard's recommendation for the Pomona products . . . also Keystone Electronics makes good quality stuff, including individual alligator clips if you're making your own leads (and also premium-quality 9v battery connectors, highly recommended over the usual cheap crap). They're available from the typical professional parts suppliers (Digi-Key, Mouser, Newark/Farnell, etc.) . . . sometimes I'm a bit dubious of these types of parts from Amazon, as I've been burned by obvious counterfeits before, and sometimes Amazon is actually more expensive.

For general test bench use, I do find the Pomona mini-grabber style to be much more useful than standard alligator clips of any size, up to currents of a handful of amps or so.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search