The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Valley People PR10A rack Psu upgrade
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

Valley People PR10A rack Psu upgrade

Hello,

I have a full loaded Valley PR10A rack and I was wondering about a possible improvement on the psu to give more "life" to the modules.
The caps in the modules look fine but I imagine that those in psu section could benefit of a "refresh", couldn't open the rack psu's enclosure yet to check it out.
I am thinking about sending the rack to a tech to do the job properly and I thought I may need schematics to give him but haven't found anything online.

Can someone help me or give me a suggestion on how to proceed?
Thanks
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Addict

Bump

Anyone ever recapped/upgraded one of those?
I feel like all the GB2 in mine has a kind of low pass filter and too much hiss
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

I've worked on my friend's VP rack a bit and was unimpressed with the build quality - plastic faceplates? but the PSU circuit is pretty basic and could be maintained by most competent techs without a schematic. At most it might cost an extra hour of bench time for the tech to suss which end is up.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
I've worked on my friend's VP rack a bit and was unimpressed with the build quality - plastic faceplates? but the PSU circuit is pretty basic and could be maintained by most competent techs without a schematic. At most it might cost an extra hour of bench time for the tech to suss which end is up.
Thanks.
I think the rack you worked on is of the older TR8 series.
Mine is of the PR10 series with different size of modules and metal faceplates.

I couldn't open mine to see if the condensers have bulges or are leaking but I'm hearing what I think is an excessive hiss and a lowpass effect so I was wondering if it could benefit from some "treatment"
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

You cant have hiss and a low pass effect, because the lowpass will remove the hiss. Do you mean a high pass? Power supplies dont generally cause hiss, thats the devices themselves. Also it would help to quantify the noise level of your problem.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
You cant have hiss and a low pass effect, because the lowpass will remove the hiss. Do you mean a high pass? Power supplies dont generally cause hiss, thats the devices themselves. Also it would help to quantify the noise level of your problem.
Consider the hiss I'm talking about as a sort of white noise, you can low pass white noise and still hear it.
I can't exactly quantify it at the moment
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

If you have no actual figures on the noise level, how do you know you have a problem? The essence of faultfinding is measurement.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

I agree with @ Radardoug that without some measurements (or SOME kind of reference between "signal" and "noise" levels), your symptoms just sound like free-floating anxiety. Is this what you are hearing?
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/noise.html

Jumping to the conclusion that the power supply capacitors need replacement just seems like random boredom. The power supply will have nothing to do with hiss noise.

If anything, the "lowpass effect" symptom would suggest that capacitors in the signal path of the modules are much more suspect. Problems with capacitors in the power supply would typically be indicated by hum which you have never mentioned. And as for hiss SNR, are you expecting 21st-century performance out of decades-old pieces of gear?

It may be a fad with dilettantes and amateurs, but shotgun replacement of capacitors is often just busy-work with no discernible benefit.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search