The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to modify my car radio
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

How to modify my car radio

My hearing isn't the greatest and I'm not hearing my car radio\disc player properly.

What I'd like to do is add a headphone socket to the radio unit so that I can choose to listen to the speakers normally, or through headphones.

I've been told I'd have to modify the radio to do this.

I'm no expert but I would have thought I'd only need to insert the headphone jack into to the speaker lead circuit.

Advice would be appreciated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I want to drive with headphones so I can't hear my muffler failing and sirens and people screaming as I blindly back up. Plus I got nice phones. Your reasoning, I have to admit, is much better sounding...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It’s not that simple because the electrical requirements for a set of car speakers and a pair of headphones are quite different. If you did that you would damage the headphones and/or the speaker amplifier and it wouldn’t sound right anyway.

Surely you’re aware though that it’s illegal almost everywhere to drive with headphones on? I can’t imagine telling the officer when you get pulled over, “It’s all right, my hearing just isn’t good enough to hear the car radio IN MY CAR, hence the headphones. But don’t worry about whether I can hear the world outside my car.”
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Bump

Crash
Old 4 weeks ago
< moved to geekslutz forum >
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

But if you want to do it ONLY WHILE PARKED, there are 3 easy options, if available:

1: Bluetooth. Does the radio have Bluetooth?
2: Put your music on DVD and plug your phones into the backseat DVD player. If you have one, it probably has a headphones jack.
3: Portable MP3 player. This is the obvious one.

If your car is noisy, and you listen with phones while driving, which is a terrible idea to begin with, you will want noise cancelling headphones, which are even MORE DANGEROUS while driving. I tried this with option #3 , just ONE time, realized how idiotic it was, and that was it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

If it is an aftermarket deck it will have RCA outs, so rca out to headphone amp .
Sixer
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The speaker outputs from modern car radios are differential (to get double the power from the 12V car battery).
That means that neither side is grounded. It makes no difference to the speakers.
But it means that you can't "common" the low side of the audio circuits together as would be required for a TRS headphone jack.
So there is no simple way to take the speaker output from a car radio for a standard headphone jack.

Then, of course there is the safety (and likely legal) factors regardless of the technical issues.

If you are having a hard time hearing your car radio, get you hearing tested and consider hearing aids.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here in the Peoples Republic of California it is illegal to wear headphones while driving. It is similar in other states. However, it is legal for a 100% deaf person to drive here. Never expect logic from government. That is reserved for Vulcans.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search