The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replacing/upgrading JBL LSR28P tweeters
Old 23rd January 2019
Question Replacing/upgrading JBL LSR28P tweeters

The 053Ti tweeters in my LSR28P's are pooched. I really don't feel like spending $160/ea for replacements.

Does anyone have any experience modding these to use different tweeters?
Old 25th January 2019
I sure do have a knack for making the most exciting posts.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Just pay the money and put the right tweeters in, and dont blow them up again! Its a life lesson for you.
Old 25th January 2019
You must use the tweeters it was designed for or it won't be linear anymore.
Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
Just pay the money and put the right tweeters in, and dont blow them up again! Its a life lesson for you.
lol

I bought them second hand and they came damaged.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Ah, well then buyer beware! If they were cheap, and you knew they were damaged, then you should repair properly. If you did not know they were damaged, take it up with the seller. They are good speakers when working properly.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

One of mine finally went dark in the treble and it proved to be in the amp. Which you can’t really work/test without a specialized hookup rig. So....i have a good tweeter i’d let go....but you proably want a matched pair.
Old 26th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
One of mine finally went dark in the treble and it proved to be in the amp. Which you can’t really work/test without a specialized hookup rig. So....i have a good tweeter i’d let go....but you proably want a matched pair.
Honestly, I have other monitors for critical listening, these serve as my tracking monitors and a secondary reference.

If you have a mint tweeter you don't need I'll happily take it off your hands.

However... if you enjoyed that monitor, you might want to see if you can just snag a single one off ebay or whatever, and swap your good tweeter in.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

My point was my tweeters are both fine, the amp went funky. Seemed like it was a dying tweeter. Amp isn’t repairable, speaker is toast. Tweeter therefore available.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Bumping a old post here.
I had a similar issue with my LSR28P that I have had since mid 90s.
It was a bad connection within the speaker amp assembly.
It’s a bit scary ripping it apart with glued elements but after reseating connections and resoldering what looked like a bad joint we put it back together and it has not misbehaved since and that was a year or so ago.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search