The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha 02R v2 - yellowish buttons Mixers (Digital)
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
Yamaha 02R v2 - yellowish buttons

Folks,

does anybody know if the "top cap assembly" for the light grey buttons (on, display select etc) is available as a spare part?

I searched a few places and found only knob and fader caps, complete boards - but none of the top cap assemblies. They are available for other synths and mixers as single, row of four etc, but there is nothing for the 02R.

The service manual also has no single part numbers, it only references the complete board. However, chances are this is a standard part (with/without LED lens), so do you know if any parts from a Yamaha mixer or synth will fit the 02R?
Old 2 days ago
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Yep, that´s plan B
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Call your local Yamaha distributor and ask them
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Companies like Yamaha don't sell parts to the public. They are only beholden to selling to dealers, if that dealer is authorized to do electronic repairs. They may not do local repairs and request dealers send them the gear for repair.

This business model is pretty common now. Few music dealers do any kind of repairs any more. They don't want to pay a skilled technician a living wage so they've taken them out of the loop all together. Gear had also gotten so complex its become extremely tough to properly diagnose and many times impossible to repair to component level. Micro components either need a million dollar microscopic soldering station to replace them or you simply swap the entire board and save the money on the time wasted diagnosing and replacing the parts.

As far as finding new parts, even knobs, I'd say simply good luck on that quest. As a tech I get most of my vintage parts cannibalizing old gear that isn't worth the cost of repairing.

If a manufacturer did have knobs on hand, they'll charge you an arm and a leg for them. Spending $5~10 isn't so bad for a single knob, but replacing them all? The gear probably isn't worth it. Not Yamaha gear at least

Given the fact they have yellowed, the chances are, that units is pretty old too, at least 10 years or more. The method listed above is for soft PVC plastics used on allot of electronic gear covers, especially business equipment. On audio gear they use a couple of different types of plastic. The slider knobs are often PVC or nylon. Some have a rubberized coating for grip. The pan knobs are typically Nylon and have a harder plexiglass type level indicator disk glued to the top. That particular unit is loaded with pushbuttons. They may be PVC or a harder plastic. I'd need one removed and in hand to test it using a blade inside. If the blade can notch it easily its an indication its made of soft PCV and likely to yellow quickly.

If its a harder plastic there isn't a chemical out there that can whiten it without destroying the plastic in the process. I wouldn't be too much in a hurry to try that stuff in the article on PVC either. As PVC ages it dries out and begins to crack and crumble. Eventually it turns into a powder. I'd want to be dam sure that whitener didn't accelerate the breakdown of the PVC. Found that out just using contact cleaner on a patch bay. The connectors are all made of PVC and the alcohol in the cleaner caused all the plugs to crumble into pieces within a month or so.

Personally I wouldn't want to be stuck in a situation where every pushbutton in the thing begins to break down. My advice is to get some Fantastic from the super market and use it to clean. It will strip off all the yellowing from smoke and ozone. If its still yellow after that, get over it. If the units functional, that's all that matters. Gear isn't built to be repaired any more, its designed to be used for maybe 10 years max then upgraded. In the course of those 10 years, you don't earn enough from the unit to pay for the upgrade, you have much bigger issues with that business model besides yellowed knobs.

If the plastic has yellowed due to age, nothing will fix it, believe me. you can even sandpaper the plastic and find it yellows deep into the surface and if the chemicals are too harsh you'll destroy the plastic or dry it out so bad it crumbles into pieces.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search