The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide H3000SE No Effects?! Saturation Plugins
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Eventide H3000SE No Effects?!

Long story shot found an old Eventide H3000SE lying on a shelf in a studio and decided to rescue it.

The unit turns on, the display is fine and I hear a signal when it is put through the unit and when it is bypassed. The pitch shifting modes detect a pitch and the thing seems functional.

However, the levels monitor seems to show no signal coming in and there seems to be no effects added to the signal. The sounds coming out seems 100% dry to my ears. What is more the bypassed sound is much louder than the bypassed one.

Any diagnosis as to what the issue maybe?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I am afraid we are not mind readers, and from short and garbled description, the only diagnosis can be that it is not working properly. Perhaps take it to a professional who could look at it for you.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

What kinds of details would you need to make a diagnosis?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

There are probably one thousand parts in that unit. Any part failing could stop it.
You would need to open it up and diagnose it section by section, starting with the power supply. Are all d.c. rails present? Its not clear from your description whether it passes audio in bypass and non-bypass. Eventides use a relay bypass, so in bypass its just wire from in to out.
Possible failures include the A to D, D to A, memory, microprocessor, etc. Lots of variables.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Like I stated originally it passes sound in both bypassed and non-bypassed mode, but with the sound noticeably quieter when the unit is on.

The most noticeable issue is that the sound with the unit is engaged is much weaker with no effects being applied.

In terms of easy repairs I can probably replace all electrolytic capacitors and the battery dependent memory without much trouble, but I would rather not start hacking away if these things would not a remedy to my issues.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Bypass is a relay in most of the Eventides of that era. Non-bypass goes through the full adc - processor - dac chain.

I'm going to assume, first, that you read the manual and set up for your studio. Otherwise it could be something as simple as a -10 / +4 incompatibility... that would still give full volume during hard bypass. Also IIRC Eventide was a little funky in how they wanted unbalanced wired back then.

My memory of the 3000 is a little spotty - Eventide had me program the 4000 and above - but I'm sure there's a software mix control to vary between wet and dry. See if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, suspect something in the ADC or DAC. It could still be more internal, but that's the most likely if 0% wet on the variable control is also soft.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyS View Post

What is more the bypassed sound is much louder than the bypassed one.
What you said originally. Now do you see why we are confused?
If the unit appears to work normally. Load a simple effect such as a delay.
Check that the mix control is on full wet. Do you get output? If so, A/D, D/A, processing are working.
Does it make random noises? Could be memory. Does it do nothing? Could be anything.
Learn the technique of systematic fault finding, it will make your life much easier.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

I had a couple of minutes spare so I popped the hood on the unit.

What I discovered (other than the heat of the unit cooked dust onto every component) is that two cables that should be screwed to the chassis were hanging free.

As well as this on the underside of the unit there is a wire that seems to jumper two different parts of the circuit-board.

Both of these things seem to have been done deliberately, but even so I feel I should return the unit to its original state.

Any clues what these mods were for or if they could have caused the drop non-bypassed signal or lack of wetness?

Also, it looks like the capacitors are original, so I figure I should replace those at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Eventide H3000SE No Effects?!-8168c90e-c0a7-4fbc-be31-3f342b6c6751.jpg   Eventide H3000SE No Effects?!-db66e7c5-2c6a-4f76-b92b-025a71770063.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Clean the dust! The trapped heat will eventually kill every component that isn't dead now.
It's entirely possible that the hanging-free cables are your problem. Test that before you bother with replacing caps.
Intentional jumpers are common, and represent manufacturing changes that weren't worth making a new PC board.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Wow thats dirty! And where there is dirt, there can be corrosion. Eventide gear is hard to work on, you need advanced skills, and they used bits in creative ways. If I were you and you dont have those skills, take it to someone who does have the skills. Or put it on Ebay cheap, and make some money.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search