The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Klark Teknik DN100 Quality, or Junk? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 25th December 2018
Here for the gear

Klark Teknik DN100 Quality, or Junk?

Are the New DN100 DI boxes of any quality / value? I'm very suspect of anything to do with Behringer, as most of their products are second rate hobbyist gear, and I want to make sure it's not a re-packaged Behringer Ultra DI.

Since the average retail price on these approaches a Countryman FET 85, I want to make sure it's not a waste of money. Has anyone done any testing on these?
Old 25th December 2018
Gear Maniac

As long as you have such a - baseless - pre-biased opinion about everything what is affiliated with Behringer I recommend not to buy one of those products.

Anyhow here you can have a look what is inside:

Old 26th December 2018
Here for the gear

I do have a basis for my caution with Behringer. I've owned a few different pieces manufactured by Behringer, and repaired lots of other pieces. My findings are often the design is poor, or poorly implemented with cheap parts and substandard construction, so I do have a foundation for my bias.

I was hoping that KT was able to maintain some level of quality despite the parent company's notoriety.

Seeing an actual schematic would go a long ways towards making a decision to purchase, or not.
Old 26th December 2018
Gear Addict

LOL!!! I am astounded of the stuff I read on here. A question is asked as whether the KT DN100 is of any quality or value. Someone answers with a nice picture showing all the components inside the unit so you can be the judge if the quality is any good or not and then you say:

"Seeing an actual schematic would go a long ways towards making a decision to purchase, or not."

Come on, it retails for $99.00 !!!

Maybe the manufacture needs to include a operators manual, a full service manual, schematic, parts list and spare parts with the unit to get you to buy one???

I agree with analoguru, I highly recommend you don't buy one.
Old 26th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarra View Post
LOL!!! I am astounded of the stuff I read on here. A question is asked as whether the KT DN100 is of any quality or value. Someone answers with a nice picture showing all the components inside the unit so you can be the judge if the quality is any good or not and then you say:

"Seeing an actual schematic would go a long ways towards making a decision to purchase, or not."

Come on, it retails for $99.00 !!!

Maybe the manufacture needs to include a operators manual, a full service manual, schematic, parts list and spare parts with the unit to get you to buy one???

I agree with analoguru, I highly recommend you don't buy one.
If I'm going to initially invest in 15 or 20 of these for production, I want to ensure I'm not wasting time and money. We do all our own in-house service on our rental inventory, so a service manual or a schematic at least would be required. If the manufacturer won't stand behind their product with technical support, I'm not prepared to support their product.

So far, I haven't seen anyone from the pro-audio industry chiming in on the quality of these units. Maybe I'm inquiring on the wrong forum.
Old 26th December 2018
Lives for gear

If you are going to buy 15 or 20 then you should build your own. Thats plenty to do a run. Then you can make them to the level of quality you want.
Which is what, by the way? Would you use Jensen transformers? If you are so fussy, then you should.
Then the transformer alone costs more than this di.
Old 26th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
If you are going to buy 15 or 20 then you should build your own. Thats plenty to do a run. Then you can make them to the level of quality you want.
Which is what, by the way? Would you use Jensen transformers? If you are so fussy, then you should.
Then the transformer alone costs more than this di.
I've considered doing this, and have built a number of Countryman knock-offs, but the time and effort to wind the pot core transformers for the dc to dc converter is a little on the heavy side. The Jensens would be desirable, but Lundahl makes an acceptable transformer for considerably less.

My thoughts on the DN100 is that it has a DC to DC converter which is a plus. However, I'm curious to know what the opamp input is. Also, the Vigortronics output transformer doesn't look like anything special, and I would be curious to see what the distortion is at 0dbm @30hz
If it shows to be acceptable, then I may consider spending some money on these, rather than building. Without any real world feedback from pro-users of the DN100s, I may have to just buy one and run some tests.
Old 27th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by byacey View Post
I've ..... built a number of Countryman knock-offs, but the time and effort to wind the pot core transformers for the dc to dc converter is a little on the heavy side.
How cool, so you must have the schematic of the dc to dc converter and the specs for the transformers. Could you please share them ?
Old 27th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogguru View Post
How cool, so you must have the schematic of the dc to dc converter and the specs for the transformers. Could you please share them ?
I'll have to fire up my other computer to get the details. You can read more about the Countryman here:
Country hick*** Di Box
Old 27th December 2018
Here for the gear

I won't post the schematic, but I will tell you this, it's a single transistor oscillator using a 2N5550, with feedback from a separate winding on the transformer.
The pot core transformer is a Magnetics 14x8mm OR-41408-UG-MAGI 3690,
and the bobbin is a PC-B1408-11-MAGI 27481.
Primary 80 turns 4.2 ohms DC
Secondary 200 turns, 13 ohms DC
Feedback 10 turns

I didn't document the wire gauge, but if I recall correctly it was about #40 .
Old 29th December 2018
Here for the gear

It's gotten very quiet here. Is there anyone who can relate some real world experiences in how this KT DI box performs?
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear

To be honest, why would you be looking to take the word of some random person on the Internet? You have said you are going to buy 15 to 20 of these. Only you know what quality level and budget you have. So its worth you buying one from a reputable dealer to see if it fits your needs. If it is crap as you implied first up, then you can take it back. So no loss to you apart from the evaluation time. It seems to me you are being lazy instead of doing your own due diligence.
You want a spec sheet? Its here.
https://media.music-group.com/media/...20Document.pdf
And it has a 3 year warranty!
Old 29th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
To be honest, why would you be looking to take the word of some random person on the Internet? You have said you are going to buy 15 to 20 of these. Only you know what quality level and budget you have. So its worth you buying one from a reputable dealer to see if it fits your needs. If it is crap as you implied first up, then you can take it back. So no loss to you apart from the evaluation time. It seems to me you are being lazy instead of doing your own due diligence.
You want a spec sheet? Its here.
https://media.music-group.com/media/...20Document.pdf
And it has a 3 year warranty!
I was hoping to get some opinions from a few users of these boxes before spending $140CAD on one of these for evaluation. Perhaps I can find a rental and run some tests. I want to make sure that whatever product I invest in, it's money spent wisely.

I didn't imply it was crap, only that because of my past experiences with Behringer gear and their reputation, I am cautious. I consider making inquiries like this part of the due diligence process.
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by byacey View Post
I was hoping to get some opinions from a few users of these boxes .....
Ahhhh..., maybe you asked your question in the wrong forum ?

I mean this (sub-)forum is about hard facts - like schematics (or guts) - and not about opinions, rumours and reputations. But you are lucky, on this board there exists three (sub-)forums which deal with this stuff:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...o-little-time/

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/
Old 29th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogguru View Post
Ahhhh..., maybe you asked your question in the wrong forum ?

I mean this (sub-)forum is about hard facts - like schematics (or guts) - and not about opinions, rumours and reputations. But you are lucky, on this board there exists three (sub-)forums which deal with this stuff:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...o-little-time/

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/
Thank you for kindly posting these links. I'm new to this forum and haven't learned my way around all the forums and subforums yet.
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Maniac

You're welcome.
Old 6 days ago
Hi I've been using DN100's and 200's for around 5 years for live sound, they're superb, and well worth getting 3 for the price of 1 Radial, Jenson or no Jenson
Transformers, never had a single issue with them running on passive or active sources.
I'm sure there are applications where one of the many types of Radial would be first choice but the DN100 can be had for £60 a box so...

A highly under rated DI imo, odd because iv'e seen them deploy a lot of em on the Pyramid stage at Glasto, so I'm going to assume they should be just about 'ok' for most people...lol
hope that's of some help.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search