The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Otari MX-80 VU Meter Lamps Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Otari MX-80 VU Meter Lamps

Hello,

I recently acquired an Otari MX-80 32 track 2" tape machine. Transport appears to be in good shape, 32 track heads look worn but came with an extra set of pretty fresh looking 24 track heads, a few reels of tape, original service manual, and other assorted goodies. The VU meters on all 32 channels appear to work fine, however many of the lamps have burned out which, as I understand it, is pretty common for a machine this age. I have read it can be a pain, however I do wish to replace the smoked VU meter lamps in order to fully restore the machine. My problem though is that I cannot seem to find a source for these lamps. The Otari part number listed in the service manual is LU2065. I read on another forum that this is also the lamp used in the MX-70 and I believe someone claimed it to be a 6V? Would anyone happen to have any cross referenced part numbers/suppliers for these lamps?

Thanks so much!
Old 4 weeks ago
Use a rectifier diode in series with a soft-white LED. A 1k ohm current limiting resistor is needed and can be used to adjust the brightness. You will need to do this only once. Use bulbs and you will rinse and repeat.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Use a rectifier diode in series with a soft-white LED. A 1k ohm current limiting resistor is needed and can be used to adjust the brightness. You will need to do this only once. Use bulbs and you will rinse and repeat.
Thanks so much! I see where you're coming from with LED's but I think I want to keep the machine as stock as possible and restore rather than modify anything just yet. Definitely see your point though, for sure.

I did find out that the 6V lamp is often replaced with a comparable 8V in order to promote longevity. Makes sense also.

Here is a direct link to the replacement in case anyone is looking for Otari MX-80 lamps in the future.

T-1 1/4 Special Axial Lead Lamp 8V .055A
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search