The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha CE20 issue
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yamaha CE20 issue

Well this is a long shot, but maybe there's someone out there familiar with this machine :|. I have a Yamaha CE20 "Combo Ensemble" synthesizer that powers on, but then immediately becomes stuck in synth purgatory. Three of the lights light up (Power, Preset, and Symphonic), but that's it. No sound, not able to push and light up any other buttons, nothing. I checked the power supply capacitors and they all test fine. Any ideas?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Are the power supply voltages stable? Mine takes a few seconds to initialize completely.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The unit probably isn't booting properly at power up. Its a very old unit using FM synthesis and whatever components are having to boot to a ready condition aren't doing so, or possibly there are multiple voltages from the power supply and one is failing.

What I'd likely do is make sure the main board doesn't contain a backup battery. When backup batteries go bad they can short out the 3/5V logic voltage and prevent the unit from booting properly. If there is a battery its likely there to your maintain presets and settings. I doubt the unit has much physical memory and I'm not sure static memory was used back when those keyboards were developed. Given its age however its got nearly 40 years on it and the Caps in it can be going bad so I probably wouldn't put a whole lot of hope in salvaging it. Even then the units were made to have the entire boards replaced when repaired and unless you have another used unit to cannibalize its not like you'll find parts for it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
What I'd likely do is make sure the main board doesn't contain a backup battery.
There's no battery.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search