The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TACT switches for Roland Fantom X and V-Synth Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

TACT switches for Roland Fantom X and V-Synth

So much gear from the 2000's had switches fail. I want to resurrect a Roland Fantom-X and a V-Synth. Are 'soft tact' something I could retro fit? What sort of switches do I need?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Yes Tact switches - hard and soft- are replaceable if you can solder and also just as importantly you can desolder.

Either have service manual to see part or open the synth, I have the Fantom XR and none of my switches have died yet (the screen on the other hand) so have not had a look. OK I had a look for you just now as I had it opened up for the screen replacement and unfortunately the switches are recessed into another tear down part and i did not do that so cant tell. But I can assume they will be 4 pin tact switches. A simple google will show what they look like.
I have hard tact switches in my MPC1000 and I am always replacing them so its not really difficult.. Just open it up and have a look and search for tact switch on google. I have a local electronics shop that sell them for around $1.5o each
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for replying. I have replaced Elektron controllers successfully. Its not as simple as "Just open it up" because the keyboard and 2 layers of boards have to come out. I have done that once to replace the display screen and will have to do it again because it is slightly off angle and has dust trapped there. LOL
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
Thanks for replying. I have replaced Elektron controllers successfully. Its not as simple as "Just open it up" because the keyboard and 2 layers of boards have to come out. I have done that once to replace the display screen and will have to do it again because it is slightly off angle and has dust trapped there. LOL
I did a full tact switch replacement on a V-Synth last year. I may still have the part number from Mouser sitting around. I do know that it was a royal PITA to get the front panel boards out. Once they're out, the replacement process went as you might expect - lots of careful unsoldering, cleaning the holes, and then resoldering new switches.

EDIT - found the post I made back in December 2017 when someone asked me -

Roland V-Synth tact switch replacements:

Mouser P/N: 688-SKQNAE
Mfg P/N: SKQNAED010
ALPS tact switches - round, 6.0x5.0mm 160gf

I ordered 60 and had 4 left over.

Service manual - I think I paid the $4 or whatever from SR Manuals to buy it on-line.

Note - since the service manual wasn't free, I don't feel it's my place to post/share it. The service manual has the test routine in it to verify that the rest of the V-Synth is working and calibrated. My YouTube video walking through the menus for that is probably still on-line.

Last edited by oldgearguy; 4 days ago at 03:56 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Thank you, exactly what I needed. I'm aware of the Service Mode at start up for testing. All I need then is courage to get throught the tedious replacements and hope I don't get a silent pile of junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
I did a full tact switch replacement on a V-Synth last year. I may still have the part number from Mouser sitting around. I do know that it was a royal PITA to get the front panel boards out. Once they're out, the replacement process went as you might expect - lots of careful unsoldering, cleaning the holes, and then resoldering new switches.

EDIT - found the post I made back in December 2017 when someone asked me -

Roland V-Synth tact switch replacements:

Mouser P/N: 688-SKQNAE
Mfg P/N: SKQNAED010
ALPS tact switches - round, 6.0x5.0mm 160gf

I ordered 60 and had 4 left over.

Service manual - I think I paid the $4 or whatever from SR Manuals to buy it on-line.

Note - since the service manual wasn't free, I don't feel it's my place to post/share it. The service manual has the test routine in it to verify that the rest of the V-Synth is working and calibrated. My YouTube video walking through the menus for that is probably still on-line.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search