The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIDI controller dead keys repair advice
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
MIDI controller dead keys repair advice

I had a dead key on my Novation SL mk II MIDI controller. I saw a video on youtube where for a keyboard with a similar mechanism, the dead key could be fixed by cleaning the interior, especially the contacts on the PCB. I attached a picture of the style of contact.

I removed some material that had made its way inside the keyboard. Then I removed the rubber, and cleaned the PCB and the rubber with alcohol. I reassembled and the dead key was fixed. However soon after two new dead keys have appeared, different from the first one. I am not sure what to do since I just cleaned it.
I pulled off the pcb from the keybed and I can trigger each key successfully by pressing on the rubber. So it seems like the contacts for these dead keys function at least partially. I don't know if the dead keys are somehow a byproduct of my re-assembly, maybe the rubber is slightly displaced and the key-bed mechanism isn't connecting with it. Or maybe those contacts have lost sensitivity somehow. I can still trigger them by pushing on the rubber with my finger though. If I reattach the PCB the same keys still don't work.

Has anyone had a similar experience to this? Do you have any advice for fixing dead keys for this style of keyboard? When should I consider it a lost cause?
Attached Thumbnails
MIDI controller dead keys repair advice-sxvxzux.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search