The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Learn the basics, suggestion for a good read Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Learn the basics, suggestion for a good read

Hello,

Around a year ago, after been recording for 19 years completely itb and feeling a bit bored, I wanted to try something new and made a hybrid setup with pc and analog console/outboard.

I'm enjoying it very much, but I've had to do some maintenance and I want to learn how to do bymyself some of the most basic stuff.
I have no knowledge or skills whastoever, I can just solder a cable.

Can someone suggest me a simple read to begin learning the basics to do some little work bymyself? (english is not my mother tongue but english text is fine)

Thank you
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Just buy something thats broken and fix it.
Preferably simple audio gear.

Read up on powersupplys. To my experience: thats where you want to start!

Next tip: don.t start with scratch builds. Way to demotivating for a starter.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pief View Post
Just buy something thats broken and fix it.
Preferably simple audio gear.

Read up on powersupplys. To my experience: thats where you want to start!

Next tip: don.t start with scratch builds. Way to demotivating for a starter.
Thanks for the tip.
What do you mean by simple audio gear?
I'm really at level 0, I'm just starting to learn what a capacitor or a resitor do in a circuit.
I was thinking about a diy guitar pedal kit.
Would it be the simplest thing to do?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Start by learning what the components are that make up an audio circuit.
Resistor
Capacitor
Operational amplifier
Transistor
Rectifier
Etc....
Learn what they do. As you run into stuff you don’t understand then google that aspect of circuitry.

I was in your shoes roughly 10 to 12 years ago. Now I’m recapping gear. Swapping op amps. Buying kits and completing them into working gear. You can but older gear from the 70’s and 80’s and mod them and come away with very nice clean sounding gear that’s usable. Scower these pages and read until you understand. Follow threads even if you don’t understand because one day you will and it will all make sense. Google and search for answers before you ask questions. Most questions have been asked and answered in these pages when it comes to general electronics questions. If it’s gear specific people are more likely to answer. If it’s been asked a million times you’ll get fewer responses. If your looking at a particular piece of gear you want to buy search it out. Read what the Geekslutz say about it and what’s inside it. You’ll make better choices if you buy on how it’s built rather than hype. It’s a journey and super rewarding when you start to get it all. When you buy your first soldering iron and put your headband light on and take the plunge on your first PCB then you know your in deep. It’s not for everyone.

Brian
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. Boykin View Post
Start by learning what the components are that make up an audio circuit.
Resistor
Capacitor
Operational amplifier
Transistor
Rectifier
Etc....
Learn what they do. As you run into stuff you don’t understand then google that aspect of circuitry.

I was in your shoes roughly 10 to 12 years ago. Now I’m recapping gear. Swapping op amps. Buying kits and completing them into working gear. You can but older gear from the 70’s and 80’s and mod them and come away with very nice clean sounding gear that’s usable. Scower these pages and read until you understand. Follow threads even if you don’t understand because one day you will and it will all make sense. Google and search for answers before you ask questions. Most questions have been asked and answered in these pages when it comes to general electronics questions. If it’s gear specific people are more likely to answer. If it’s been asked a million times you’ll get fewer responses. If your looking at a particular piece of gear you want to buy search it out. Read what the Geekslutz say about it and what’s inside it. You’ll make better choices if you buy on how it’s built rather than hype. It’s a journey and super rewarding when you start to get it all. When you buy your first soldering iron and put your headband light on and take the plunge on your first PCB then you know your in deep. It’s not for everyone.

Brian
Ok, thanks
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logima View Post
Thanks for the tip.
What do you mean by simple audio gear?
I'm really at level 0, I'm just starting to learn what a capacitor or a resitor do in a circuit.
I was thinking about a diy guitar pedal kit.
Would it be the simplest thing to do?

Yes basic understanding on a component level is good to dive into. And yes...a guitar pedal could work out nice as a first project.

I started buying all kinds of stuff specifically listed as broken. Old tube amps, 70's transistor amps p.a, video projectors/beamers and even coffee machines. I fixed them if i could and sold them again with a little profit.

Modern electronics is all of the "trown away after broken" kind. Not worth the trouble.
Old stuff is usually more spacious and more easy to work with/repair.

Anyways:
Check out the pnp or npn fuzz face pedal schematic. Its pretty straightforward and you can build it into any type of box.

And...get a DMM if you don.t have one already.

Feel free to call back in if you have specific questions.

Goodluck
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pief View Post
Yes basic understanding on a component level is good to dive into. And yes...a guitar pedal could work out nice as a first project.

I started buying all kinds of stuff specifically listed as broken. Old tube amps, 70's transistor amps p.a, video projectors/beamers and even coffee machines. I fixed them if i could and sold them again with a little profit.

Modern electronics is all of the "trown away after broken" kind. Not worth the trouble.
Old stuff is usually more spacious and more easy to work with/repair.

Anyways:
Check out the pnp or npn fuzz face pedal schematic. Its pretty straightforward and you can build it into any type of box.

And...get a DMM if you don.t have one already.

Feel free to call back in if you have specific questions.

Goodluck
Yes, I thought about a fuzz pedal.
What is a DMM?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
DMM = Digital MultiMeter
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
DMM = Digital MultiMeter
Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search