The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY stepped attenuator questions
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

That's some really nice workmanship there. You have every right to be proud.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

You did do a great job with that build!!

You do know that there's an internal jumper in the ULN8/LIO8 to set the ADC input to +24dbu, right?

Also, the analog attenuators on the front panel are before the ADC (it's not digital attenuation after conversion) . . .

So you already had -0.5db stepped attenuation in that box (you can actually configure the amount per-step in the preference panel, so you could set it up so 1-click of the encoder equals -6dB of analog attenuation before the ADC if you like)

Here's the signal path : http://www.metric-halo.com/media/leg...iagram_web.png
Old 16th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
You did do a great job with that build!!

You do know that there's an internal jumper in the ULN8/LIO8 to set the ADC input to +24dbu, right?

Also, the analog attenuators on the front panel are before the ADC (it's not digital attenuation after conversion) . . .

So you already had -0.5db stepped attenuation in that box (you can actually configure the amount per-step in the preference panel, so you could set it up so 1-click of the encoder equals -6dB of analog attenuation before the ADC if you like)

Here's the signal path : http://www.metric-halo.com/media/leg...iagram_web.png
Thanks! I know the ULN-8 and LIO-8 give me up to 12dB attenuation before ADC. But I wanted that lower load on the vintage preamp outputs and even more reduction to drive them hotter.
Old 17th November 2018
Lives for gear

Wow, what an exceptionally clean, concise build! The continuity of position and spacing between the attenuators and the Metric Halo controls is such a nice touch, both visually and ergonomically. I'm very impressed, and flattered that my pencil drawing adorns the front. Nice job!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi there,

I am after building something like this for myself. Do you think it would be possible for you to knock up a parts list? I’m having trouble finding the switches named earlier the ones I found don’t look the same as in your pictures. What were the final resistor values and what type did you use.

I hope I’m not asking too much, any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search