The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mod mic for higher sensitivity? Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Mod mic for higher sensitivity?

Is that possible, on a 'moddable' mic?

There are mics I like, but would trade headroom for sensitivity if that was feasible, since that's the game I'm in. I have heard of mods swapping out capacitors for some improvement in the sound of the mic, but haven't heard of a mod specifically for this objective.

Is that done?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I remove the filter section and put a step-up transformer in my SM7b. This increased my output about 3 times. So it uses less gain on the mic pre, and it works really well now on all the microphone preamps I tested.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Hard to answer as a generic question. Not all mics are "modifiable", and we don't know which one you have in mind.
In addition to removing filters and adding passive gain with transformers as @DrAudiospecific suggested,
there are in-line amplifier modules, typically built into an XLR adapter. "Cloudlifter" is one of several brand names.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
Is that possible, on a 'moddable' mic?

There are mics I like, but would trade headroom for sensitivity if that was feasible, since that's the game I'm in. I have heard of mods swapping out capacitors for some improvement in the sound of the mic, but haven't heard of a mod specifically for this objective.

Is that done?
I doubt it is very popular because you can't pad down an overloading mic acoustically... I guess you could muffle it but that seems questionable.

Answer depends on the mic... If the capsule has a simple drain resistor load, making that R larger should increase sensitivity, while you might need tricks to manage DC bias (perhaps with a current source, but that will add noise too).

Does not seem very practical, but possibility depends on the mic.

[edit- another option is to mount the mic inside a horn. this will provide acoustic gain, while horn may introduce some coloration. [/edit]

JR

PS: Some experiment with higher impedance preamp input termination than the nominal 2K ohm. This might squeak out a little more mic level, but unlikely to be perfectly flat.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks okay, let me ask another question, and put it this way.
I see that the AKG ck12 capsules are different (different part number) between the c414 b-uls (late 80s) and the c414 xls (current).
Would the newer, current capsule work in the older mic? Are ck12 capsules interchangeable, so long as the mic is designed for a ck12?

If I'm understanding things correctly, the much higher (25mv/Pa vs 12.5mv/Pa) sensitivity is down to the capsule.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

The Newer c414 xls mic the replacement for the older c414 b-uls mic. Whether the elements are switchable? Just looking at the specs would make me question if it would even work. The switch that changes models is obviously different and given the fact the new mic has 9 modes and it looks like the old one had 4. I'd suspect the newer one is loaded with additional differences that would make the two incompatible.

I'd bet it has a micro circuit for switching its different modes and probably a different preamp too given its SPL differences. That means a different board, different mount, different switch, possibly a different element too. Sure it looks similar on the outside but that doesn't mean its even close to being a fit on the inside.

Could you jam it into a case of an old mic? Maybe, but it could just as easily fail big time if you didn't have both mics open side by side to make a 1 on 1 comparison and see if its even possible.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search