The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to resolder my DT990's? Please help a soldering noob
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

How to resolder my DT990's? Please help a soldering noob

I am trying to replace the cable/minijack assembly on my Beyerdynamic DT990's and have obviously resoldered the thing incorrectly. When I desoldered it initially I was a bit stressed as I haven't soldered anything in almost two decades and the wires were quite taut so I was afraid to tear them, which resulted in my desoldering quickly without taking note of all the correct solder points.

I have a red, blue and copper (unshielded) wire coming out of the cable and as one of the three solder points is marked red, I soldered red to that, copper in the middle (assume that's ground) and blue on the other side. The two wires going from the left earphone to the right are white and black, and I soldered the white to the same point as red and black to blue (leaving the unshielded copper wire in the middle). I also opened the right earphone to check the solder points on that side and white was soldered to red, so I am pretty sure this must be correct.

Now, with the copper wire in the middle I am getting a mono sound which is very bassy at when panned to one side and becomes a lot more trebly (and less bassy) when panned to the other. I tried switching the blue and copper wires, but what happens now is that I get a mono sound (with a full frequency spectrum) that sounds identical whether the pan is centred or any position on the right side, but fades to silence the more I pan towards the left. I assume there is some phase cancellation going on, but I am very uncertain as to how I should try resoldering now.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!
Old 4 days ago
Two seconds on #oogle found me this;

Old 4 days ago
Double post glitch

Last edited by Cozmik Prod.; 4 days ago at 09:27 PM.. Reason: double
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search